Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I think we've all been reckoning it fits under the (slightly) broader category of, "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."
    I endorse this message.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Not only elegant, but innovative. Today, companies won't take a chance on anything new. TC started making single shot pistols when no one was asking for them, and they've been making them ever since.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I have both a .444 Katadyn (sp.) Hunter and a custom little 6.8 rifle that is a dream to carry in the field. I haven’t gotten to shoot anything yet with the 6.8, but it was really nice to carry getting into hides and blinds and just walking around. It has been cut to 16” and is really compact.
    My little terrier brain won't let go of some things, and I was reading more on 6.8 Contenders today. Read lots of reports of people having ignition problems with 6.8 in Contenders due to the harder, AR-compatible primers generally used in factory 6.8 ammo. Seems like it would be pretty lame to lose an animal when it goes click on the perfect shot, but all my 6.8 ammo is and is going to be loaded with AR-friendly primers.

Have you ever gotten a click instead of a bang with this gun?

I'm thinking it might be a nice application for the Grendel. No mag length limitations and no feeding issues. And no AR crossover issues in this house. The barrel makers set them up to only work with G2 frames, apparently.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-27-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Just gonna leave this thought here... Contender, Choate M4 grip, SBA3, whatever pistol length barrel...

Possibly as fun as my Ruger Charger with a shockwave blade brace and a can.
    The more I look at that, the more I think I would ditch my Contender for that Charger with a Brace. That thing just looks like FUN! I bet it would be hell on Jackrabbits in the winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The more I look at that, the more I think I would ditch my Contender for that Charger with a Brace. That thing just looks like FUN! I bet it would be hell on Jackrabbits in the winter!
    It’s even more fun than that. I think the reptilian part of my brain enjoys it even more because it’s like the SBR 10/22 i waffled back and forth on doing for years. My other 10/22’s haven’t gotten near as much use since I set this little rig up.

Sorry for continuing the drift, but did have to relieve the barrel for the can? Got my SBR 10/22 SET up similarly though have the barrel cut at 10.5 for original walnut stock.

Back to the thread, digging idea of putting together an SSK-based stainless suppressed pistol and/or carbine in .44 Mag w a silver Aimpoint R1 on it.

A 200-grain hardcast WC at 1050 will kill any critter in TN and be no louder than a popcorn fart!
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

I hate you all for this thread. A buddy recently picked up a scoped Encore in 308 Winchester, Contender with selectable centerfire/rimfire hammer in 41 Magnum with excellent irons and perfect Pachmayr revolver-style stocks, spare ported 14" 30-30 barrel needing an optic, and 10" 30-30 barrel with good front sight and decent glass but needing a proper rear sight to shift the glass to the longer barrel.

Has me itching for a Contender with same furniture, 30 Carbine, 22 Long Rifle, 30-30, and 357 Maximum barrels to back up my Ruger No. 1 as is only proper.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've gone down the Contender carbine rabbit hole lately.

If you have a Hornady loading manual, read what it says about .30-30 with a 10 inch barrel. Probably not worth the time.

On the other hand, I think a 20-ish-inch carbine on a Contender frame and the .30-30 cartridge are incredibly complementary, like to the point where both may be optimized in that combination. A 4.5-lb Fudd gun that carries like an SBR and is chambered in one of the all-time great slayers of ungulates is hard to argue with. The lower pressure levels of the .30-30 are favored in the Contender over any of the newer mid-capacity cartridges, but the large-ish capacity still has the ability to impart significant KE to a bullet, as long as you give it enough time (barrel length) to push. Hodgdon's LeverEvolution powder was basically engineered to exploit this characteristic, and data shows significantly greater velocities than other powders in the 140gr and higher weights. Conveniently, H4895 is particularly well-suited to the cartridge at 130 grains and lower. It maintains consistent performance in low-percentage-fill loads, so it is likely to work better than most in the "oversize" case of the .30-30, and book data shows it producing some of the top MVs with 130 grains and below for the .30-30. Eliminating the restrictions of a tube mag permits loading spire-point bullets, which opens up a whole new world of external ballistic performance, not to mention the bullets developed in recent years for .300 BO will work beautifully as reduced loads.

And then there's the KISS aspect: Expanding hunting ammo in .30-30 is usually the cheapest, often even cheaper than the same product line in .223. Factory ammo is made for a 20-inch barrel, so you're running right on the design spec. You can just grab the cheap box at Walmart, check zero, and probably be good to go for taking out Bambi.

I'm close to spending money.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-09-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Sorry for continuing the drift, but did have to relieve the barrel for the can? Got my SBR 10/22 SET up similarly though have the barrel cut at 10.5 for original walnut stock.
    I did have to relieve the stock quite a bit for the can. Sandpaper wrapped around a 1” dowel. WECSOG engineering

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post

The Contender is an awesome platform. I love to see it come back. I never warmed to the Encore, despite its obvious advantages.
    What are the obvious advantages?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List