Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The down side is that the triggers kind of suck from the factory. Mike Bellm has trigger spring kits for them.

Another kid option would be a Contender in 7mm TCU or .300BO if you're not limited to straight wall cartridges.
    The trigger on my Encore wasn't too bad, but I still put Bellm's spring kit and another guy's overtravel stop in mine. My old Contender's trigger was fantastic.

I'm not sure I'd go with 7mmTCU. It's a fine cartridge, but you have to reload for it (and make your own brass if you can't find factory brass for it, which is what I did). 300BO can be found at Walmart. 357max isn't any better than 7mmTCU for ammo availability, but you can shoot 357mag and 38special through it. Also, if you already load those two, adding the Max is just a matter of getting the brass.

Chris

17 Fireball? 20 Fireball? Make a neat little varmint rifle with a can on it.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    357max isn't any better than 7mmTCU for ammo availability, but you can shoot 357mag and 38special through it.
    I've kinda wondered how much accuracy would improve in .357 Max or .357 Mag if the chamber ahead of the case was more like the .35 Remington, i.e., along the lines of a traditional rifle chamber. I suspect that having it be a giant funnel so that rounds can be launched from brass much shorter than the chamber will accommodate gives up something.

BTW, I hate this thread. As a serial owner of small sports cars, I am attracted to doing more with less. So I really want a .22 K-Hornet barrel. But if someone gave me one for free, it would still end up costing me around $700 after all was said and done.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-21-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've thought about starting a thread for Tactical Single-Shots in Rifles and Carbines.

Due to the breech face being basically directly above the grip, a 17-inch barrel carbine ends up about as long as a 10.5 AR with a muzzle device. And they are very light. And probably legal everywhere. A 21-inch SPC barrel would make a heck of a youth rifle.

Choate even has a PG that mounts a buffer tube, so you can have an adjustable LOP stock on your carbine. They also have folders. Could be very convenient way to have something in the truck that will put down a wounded animal or take shots of opportunity on varmints, etc.
    Was stuck with a few hours and nothing to keep me from being very bored but a phone this morning. Found this guy, who's done what I described.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s&#post3485210

They're Encore frames, but the lower unit is represented as being legal non-NFA length and appears to even have some sort of muzzle device attached. Who knows, maybe I will find a deal on some Choate parts on Black Friday...
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-22-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I've always been interested in these rifles but dont know much about them...

Could someone school me on the difference between the Contender and Encore?
    In addition to what @mtnbkr said, the Contender is intended to use rimmed cartridges for the most part, whereas the Encore can use rimless cases. The exception that I am aware of being the .223.

As long as headspace is in spec and the extractor/ejector works, it's hard to see how that should matter.

It's my understanding that the cases using necked down .444 Marlin brass are doing so more for the wall thickness than the rim.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I have a twenty-six inch SSK stainless barrel chambered in .45 ACP for one of my Contender actions.
    That’s very interesting. I love reloading .45 and that would be super fun to play with. I distantly remember a fun rag article wherein the author determined the optimal length for .45 and 9 barrels using a long contender that he progressively cut down and chronoed. As I recall .45 started losing velocity at 10” — in other words longer barrels gave up velocity to friction because the gas expansion had reached diminishing returns.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    My name is Hambo and I have a Contender/Encore addiction. Added to my Xmas list.
    Hi Hambo. A contender, a Sinclair press, and a couple of barrels is essentially my retirement plan.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    That’s very interesting. I love reloading .45 and that would be super fun to play with. I distantly remember a fun rag article wherein the author determined the optimal length for .45 and 9 barrels using a long contender that he progressively cut down and chronoed. As I recall .45 started losing velocity at 10” — in other words longer barrels gave up velocity to friction because the gas expansion had reached diminishing returns.
    http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So cliff’s notes: all the pistol calibers fall off after 16” or so with most loads.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List