Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    .....snip..

I've been waffling on barrel length. I'm planning to get one made in .45 Auto. The excuse is to work up well-behaved .45 Super loads with instrumentation. Theoretically, I should make it match the length of my longest .45 Super-capable pistol barrel to make sure nothing weird happens when the bullet clears the muzzle. But I kinda want to mess around with the minimalist carbine concept, too. Having a USP .45 on my belt while hunting with it would make a ton of sense.

I happen to know where there's a 24-in. MGM barrel in .44 Magnum for sale at the moment.

I had Thompson’s custom shop, “ Fox River “ or something like that build me a 45 acp barrel for my contender years back and thread the barrel for my suppressor. They told me it was the only one they had ever done. It was shortly prior to them closing their doors.

I’m traveling for work again but when I get home I will snap a couple pics. I very rarely ever shot the thing. It was not the cheapest project but pretty fun. Would be a killer 45 Super shooter.

I love the platform enough that I SBR’d my gen1 Contender with a youth size stock set. The idea of lots and lots of calibers for 1 stamp had/has a lot of appeal to me. Presently have 10” barrels in .22, .32 H&R, & .357. Threaded the .22 & .357’s for cans. I also have a 14” .44 mag barrel, but that one hasn’t been used in a few years.

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't want an SBSed Encore. They're short enough with non-SBS barrels. The pic below is my 17" 35Whelen Encore. It is 31.5" long. It no longer wears the scope, having since been outfitted with a peep rear and fiber front, but otherwise is the same config currently sitting in my safe.

Name:  thumper.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  42.6 KB

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I wouldn't want an SBSed Encore. They're short enough with non-SBS barrels. The pic below is my 17" 35Whelen Encore. It is 31.5" long. It no longer wears the scope, having since been outfitted with a peep rear and fiber front, but otherwise is the same config currently sitting in my safe.

Name:  thumper.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  42.6 KB

Chris
    I think a 17" Encore with a red dot in either .357 Mag or .357 Max may be my kid's first deer rifle.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think a 17" Encore with a red dot in either .357 Mag or .357 Max may be my kid's first deer rifle.
    For that scenario, I'd go Max, with a light plastic stock and non-heavy-barrel profile. My gun shown above is pretty heavy for its size, so I'd want something lighter for a kid. Go with a 1:16 or faster twist so you can possibly use some of the 200gr+ bullets intended for 35cal rifles. The RCBS or Lee 200gr FP-Spitzer mould would be my choice. If you're going with jacketed bullets, there are a number of good choices in the single-shot pistol class of bullets.

That said, either of those chamberings (mag or max) would work in a Contender and be lighter in weight...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    That said, either of those chamberings (mag or max) would work in a Contender and be lighter in weight...
    Precisely the reason I went with the Contender over the Encore. And rimfire options too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The down side is that the triggers kind of suck from the factory. Mike Bellm has trigger spring kits for them.

Another kid option would be a Contender in 7mm TCU or .300BO if you're not limited to straight wall cartridges.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

It's been a LONG time since I have used it in the field, but I had SSK build me one several years ago on a G2 frame. It has a 15" Shilen barrel in caliber .223 Remington and is topped with a Burris LER 3X1 Ballistic Plex scope in SSK rings. I have taken numerous coyotes with it and it as accurate as any rifle I have ever owned. Purchased it with the intent of hunting ground hogs with it someday, but that hasn't happened yet.

Below is a photo of a three shot group at 100 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've always been interested in these rifles but dont know much about them...

Could someone school me on the difference between the Contender and Encore?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I've always been interested in these rifles but dont know much about them...

Could someone school me on the difference between the Contender and Encore?
    The Contender is the original firearm and primarily designed around low pressure rifle rounds (ie 30-30, etc) and pistol rounds. The Encore was a later version upsized for high pressure rifle rounds (30-06, 300wm, etc). An Encore will weigh roughly 1lb more than an identically spec'ed Contender.

Chris

User Tag List