Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

I’ve really been trying to ignore this thread.

Back in the late 70s and very early 80s I used to drive up to Gander Mountain’s original retail store in Wilmot, WI. For a few years at least they had a glass faced end cap with a large assortment of Contender components, and if it was slow they were always happy to play Legos with them so you could handle different configurations. I’ve wanted a light, handy Contender carbine ever since.

One of these new SSK-50 frames with tapered stainless 16” barrels in a few calibers would be a blast. I don’t hunt, so I’m thinking .17 HMR, .22 WMR and .223 would be a great set. I have no idea what I’d do with it, but...

Maybe if I sell off some stuff I’ll do this.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    One of these new SSK-50 frames with tapered stainless 16” barrels in a few calibers would be a blast. I don’t hunt, so I’m thinking .17 HMR, .22 WMR and .223 would be a great set. I have no idea what I’d do with it, but...

Maybe if I sell off some stuff I’ll do this.
    Don't forget the .357 Maximum barrel. My FIL has a Contender pistol in that caliber, and pardon the pun, but it's a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Don't forget the .357 Maximum barrel. My FIL has a Contender pistol in that caliber, and pardon the pun, but it's a blast.
    .357 Maximum out of a 16" Contender carbine look super useful.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I suppose it is, but I don't think "useful" figures into my father in law's pistol version. IIRC it's something like an 8" barrel or so, and exists primarily for the purpose of being obnoxious.

MGM has some testing and load data where they are pushing a 140 grain Hornady FTX at just under 2400fps out of a 16.25” barrel. That’s pretty impressive.

The more I look into Contenders the more I want to tinker with a .357 Herrett.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I suppose it is, but I don't think "useful" figures into my father in law's pistol version. IIRC it's something like an 8" barrel or so, and exists primarily for the purpose of being obnoxious.
    Is the muzzle blast like that much like getting punched in the face?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Is the muzzle blast like that much like getting punched in the face?
    It's probably been a solid 9 or 10 years since I last shot it, but I remember it being pretty substantial, yeah.

I've shot .357 Maximum from my 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk and did not find the blast to be objectionable--although I've only used 180-200gr bullets over H4227 powder, and the use of lighter bullets and heavier ball powders might result in greater muzzle blast in a similar barrel length. That said, I prefer my 10.5" Super Blackhawk for the .357 Maximum as higher velocity with heavier bullet weights are the reason I use that cartridge.
    Last edited by oregon45; 11-18-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I've shot .357 Maximum from my 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk and did not find the blast to be objectionable--although I've only used 180-200gr bullets over H4227 powder, and the use of lighter bullets and heavier ball powders might result in greater muzzle blast in a similar barrel length. That said, I prefer my 10.5" Super Blackhawk for the .357 Maximum as higher velocity with heavier bullet weights are the reason I use that cartridge.
    My *guess* would be that my FIL loads his with lighter bullets and Unique, simply because he'd have the lighter bullets around because he uses 125 grain .358 diameter bullets for SASS and he seems to use Unique for everything it's possible to use it for.

Using Unique would account for the obnoxious blast. Although the blast from my 7.5" .357 Max is not annoying, I own that revolver primarily because I love Ruger single actions and any true Ruger fan will have a 7.5" Super Blackhawk .357 Maximum The cartridge really does best in 10" and longer barrels. .357 Herrett is similar, but I have found that it really does best in 14" and longer barrels. My 10" TC .357 Herrett barrel shot well, but I found the loads I tried left behind quite a bit of unburned powder.

User Tag List