Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

So I found this thread after scoring this G1 with a 10” .223 Rem barrel. It’s a little rough but the price was very right. I’ll eventually go the carbine route but want to score a .22 LR barrel first.

Name:  516F5CC5-BAC6-4508-AA24-5B0959394ADE.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  59.6 KB
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    ^That's not an easy-open frame. Not sure what the process would be in 2020 for converting it, but my understanding is it's preferred.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

My club's elderly Board of Directors has yet again voted No Pistol Caliber Carbines on the open-air 75-yard pistol range with its enormous dirt backstops and berms. Handguns only. Because those PCCs accelerate ordinary 9mm to ear-splitting volumes!

Would .223 in a Contender pistol barrel be sufficiently obnoxious to make my point? I already have N-frames in .357 and .44 Magnum, but the irony isn't getting through to these deaf bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    ^That's not an easy-open frame. Not sure what the process would be in 2020 for converting it, but my understanding is it's preferred.
    You are correct. The frame is quite stiff when opening. It's so first gen that it requires a screwdriver to swap between rimfire and centerfire ad has a cross bolt safety with a protruding pin in the hammer.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    My club's elderly Board of Directors has yet again voted No Pistol Caliber Carbines on the open-air 75-yard pistol range with its enormous dirt backstops and berms. Handguns only. Because those PCCs accelerate ordinary 9mm to ear-splitting volumes!

Would .223 in a Contender pistol barrel be sufficiently obnoxious to make my point? I already have N-frames in .357 and .44 Magnum, but the irony isn't getting through to these deaf bastards.
    Your BoDs sounds like a bunch of BoCs...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Your BoDs sounds like a bunch of BoCs...
    I shot mine today. It is quite obnoxious. Recoil is roughly equivalent to running hot .158 grain 357s through a K frame. Noise is just loud. One of the guys on the rifle range said he heard me shooting when he came in the gate of our club with the windows up.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I shot mine today. It is quite obnoxious. Recoil is roughly equivalent to running hot .158 grain 357s through a K frame. Noise is just loud. One of the guys on the rifle range said he heard me shooting when he came in the gate of our club with the windows up.
    Yeah, having shot a .223 contender owned by my father in law, I concur with this. It's quite loud. The BoD in question seems not to be operating from a position of logic - IME with PCCs in USPSA, they're often quite a bit quieter than pistols, so...?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Yeah, having shot a .223 contender owned by my father in law, I concur with this. It's quite loud. The BoD in question seems not to be operating from a position of logic - IME with PCCs in USPSA, they're often quite a bit quieter than pistols, so...?
    Yeah, I'se shot USPSA, SCSA, and Rimfire Challenge and I double up on ear pro when the consumers show up with their Open Guns with Loudeners on them. At a guess I'd suspect your BoD has another reason they don't want the PCCs on the range but don't want to come right out and say so.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Yeah, I'se shot USPSA, SCSA, and Rimfire Challenge and I double up on ear pro when the consumers show up with their Open Guns with Loudeners on them. At a guess I'd suspect your BoD has another reason they don't want the PCCs on the range but don't want to come right out and say so.
    Not my BoD, but you bring up a good point. @Wise_A should clearly borrow someone's 9mm major or .38 super Open gun to demonstrate to the BoD what loud truly is.

I swear 9x25 Dillon changes the density of the atmosphere.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List