Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I also picked up a Choate M4 adapter. Will probably just move forward with that initially, as LOP is adjustable and I have a surplus buffer tube sitting around. The assembly will end up heavier, though. That'll probably be OK for awhile, as my only rifle barrel at this point is a 24-inch bull.
    Fiddled with this a bit while waiting for dinner to be ready. Screwed in a carbine receiver extension and threw a Magpul SL-K on it. LOP comes out pretty close to 15 inches fully extended. That will be plenty. And it has all the benefits of an adjustable stock on any other carbine.

Easy button.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

There are a few 14-inch .41 Magnum barrels on Fleabay at the moment. Perfect snowflake caliber for the ultimate snowflake gun.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There are a few 14-inch .41 Magnum barrels on Fleabay at the moment. Perfect snowflake caliber for the ultimate snowflake gun.
    Fortunately I got the .41 bug out of my system pretty quickly so that's not very tempting. Nope, not tempting at all. Nope, don't want need it. Nope, nope, nope.

How many times do I have to repeat that before I start believing it?

Not to mention a little threading, a 2.25" extension, a little welding and you've got a handy little hammer of a carbine...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Not to mention a little threading, a 2.25" extension, a little welding and you've got a handy little hammer of a carbine...
    In spite of what I read on Rimfire Central about prices for threading barrels, I can't find a smith in this area who will thread a barrel at a low enough price that buying a barrel and having it threaded comes out to less than just buying a full custom brand new barrel from MGM or EABCO that's exactly the way you want it in the first place. Maybe it's because anyone who cuts metal around here could theoretically be working in oil and gas.

Bullberry is a bit more, but may be worth it (for however many days/weeks they'll still take an order). SSK is probably awesome, but they don't even put prices on their site.
    Not another dime.

True. With what barrels bring* today on GB/Ebay/gunshows it's probably not worth buying used and then modifying to taste in most cases. I've been told there's one real gunsmith not far from me but I haven't stopped in to check around. The last LGS that mentioned threading in a general conversation we were having said they farmed theirs out even though they had a "gunsmith" on site. This was a place heavy into suppressors and other Class III goodies with a rental range.

*or at least what they keep being listed for and sitting for months and years at a time
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Finding a good machinist is worth more than many “gunsmiths”. I’m gonna be heartbroken when the 80 yr old guy I use retires for good. I’ve never paid more than $50 for absolutely perfect and precise threading from him.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I do have a couple of the Choate flash hiders that are intended to be welded on to a Super 14 barrel. When I bought them they were not listed but they still had a few.

Weighed my newly assembled 16” 17hmr rifle with a Leupold vx-r 2-7 scope... 6lbs 4.6oz.
    The scope is both overkill and underkill, but I had it sitting unused.
    Chomping at the bit to shoot this thing. I can’t get over how compact it is, despite still feeling very solid in hand.

If anyone wants a lightly used 14” .44 magnum factory T/C (Rochester, NH) barrel, I’d part with the one I have for $200 shipped in the US.
    Last edited by jandbj; 12-02-2019 at 11:15 PM.

I've dipped in and out on this thread, and don't want to re-read from start.

Has anyone bought one of these actions yet?

If so, how's it working?
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Has anyone bought one of these actions yet?
    Still preorder

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List