Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    (snip) BTW, I hate this thread. As a serial owner of small sports cars, I am attracted to doing more with less.(/snip)
    I’ve never thought of it that way, but it’s true - the same part of me that attracts me to simple sports cars (I ended up with a Miata) is probably the part that has always attracted me to T/C single shots. I need to finally scratch that T/C itch, I think...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

And then blowing it away. Just picked up the Choate M4 adapter, a composite stock like on Lost River's .45, and one tapered and one bull carbine forend. Now I'm all set for any combination I've thought about trying. Prices were cheap on the single shot Fudd forum... Not anything I had planned at lunchtime.

ETA... Last three posts in this thread are me. I need to take a break, methinks.
    I really shouldn’t ask this, but... what forum is that?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I really shouldn’t ask this, but... what forum is that?
    Sounds like Specialty Pistols, but could also be Greybeard Outdoors.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    So where would a fella get a 357mag barrel, in stainless, in minimum rifle length of 16"? Asking for a friend....
    http://www.edstc.com/hot.html
    Ed stocks more TC barrels (including MGM barrels) than just about everyone else combined. Website is usually woefully out of date but a phone call or email will get you precisely what you want.
    Last edited by jandbj; 11-14-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Seriously though, upthread it was mentioned that there was an advantage of using the Encore for rimless rifle rounds, does that imply that the Contender has trouble with them?
    My understanding has always been it's the pressure that comes with most rimless rifle cartridges that's the issue, not rimmed vs rimless. The Encore was designed around higher pressure rifle rounds from the start. Pressure can be a real issue with Contenders. I've heard of stretched frames with Trapdoor level .45-70 loads. Now what I don't know is if those were worked up with smokeless and right at the top of "safe for Trapdoor" loads, BP loads, or if the frame had already started to stretch from something else and heavy but safe for TD loads exacerbated the problem.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    My understanding has always been it's the pressure that comes with most rimless rifle cartridges that's the issue.
    Good info. Probably most of my interest would be stuff like 357, 300BO, and maybe 44mag, so maybe I would be better off with the Contender than the Encore.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The poly buttstock is great, no complaints, but then again, I really have hardly used this.
    How do you work with that? I got one, it arrived yesterday. 13 1/2-inch length of pull, but with where the grip is positioned, I thought I might have been sent a Youth stock by mistake or omission, until I measured it. I feel massively scrunched up with it shouldered. Very awkward. Need to add an inch or so. Nothing like a standard bolt-action rifle stock.

I also picked up a Choate M4 adapter. Will probably just move forward with that initially, as LOP is adjustable and I have a surplus buffer tube sitting around. The assembly will end up heavier, though. That'll probably be OK for awhile, as my only rifle barrel at this point is a 24-inch bull.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

How do you work with that? I got one, it arrived yesterday. 13 1/2-inch length of pull, but with where the grip is positioned, I thought I might have been sent a Youth stock by mistake or omission, until I measured it. I feel massively scrunched up with it shouldered. Very awkward. Need to add an inch or so. Nothing like a standard bolt-action rifle stock.

I also picked up a Choate M4 adapter. Will probably just move forward with that initially, as LOP is adjustable and I have a surplus buffer tube sitting around. The assembly will end up heavier, though. That'll probably be OK for awhile, as my only rifle barrel at this point is a 24-inch bull.
    In keeping my SBR as short as possible I use the youth synthetic stock. Probably a 12.5” LOP. Works for me but I’m 5’9” and generally prefer shorter stocks on my bolt guns. I just ordered my first actual rifle length barrel to try on it, a 16” .17hmr.

I think that Choate adapter will really shine with a brace like the tailhook and a 12” barrel. I may try one with an SSK50 frame and my SBR barrels.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I’m 5’9”
    6'4" here. Wingspan is ~78" tip to tip.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

6'4" here. Wingspan is ~78" tip to tip.
    Definitely a substantial difference from me.

User Tag List