Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

Dang, is that $1950 apiece or for 5 receivers?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Got a phone call from Marty at Haus of Arms today. He finally has SSK-50 frames inbound and I'm on the list from when I put my name in however many years ago that was. So of course I said yes to a flatside. Price has gone up quite a bit, so I only bit on one. Hope I don't kick myself later for not getting two.
    No calls, no emails.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Dang, is that $1950 apiece or for 5 receivers?
    $395 each.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Bringing this back up for some first gen Contender questions.

If the hammer has the safety that slides back and forth (as opposed to the shoulder thingy that goes up), it's an early first gen correct? I know it won't be an easy open frame but I'm not ready to worry about that yet. My primary concern is, are parts for the early first gen still around or am I stuck like Chuck if something breaks?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Got a phone call from Marty at Haus of Arms today. He finally has SSK-50 frames inbound and I'm on the list from when I put my name in however many years ago that was. So of course I said yes to a flatside. Price has gone up quite a bit, so I only bit on one. Hope I don't kick myself later for not getting two.
    Did it ever get delivered? I see everything is still OOS on the website.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Bringing this back up for some first gen Contender questions.

If the hammer has the safety that slides back and forth (as opposed to the shoulder thingy that goes up), it's an early first gen correct? I know it won't be an easy open frame but I'm not ready to worry about that yet. My primary concern is, are parts for the early first gen still around or am I stuck like Chuck if something breaks?
    Yes, the Contender actions with the sliding safety are relatively early first generation. Parts for any Contender are pretty much nonexistent. Numrich Gun Parts has some but not many, especially parts for the early guns.

Thanks! It's not like I'd ever shoot one much but that's good to know.

Obviously springs would be something to keep on hand, but what other part are considered wear parts or prone to breakage on the later first gen and G2 series?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks! It's not like I'd ever shoot one much but that's good to know.

Obviously springs would be something to keep on hand, but what other part are considered wear parts or prone to breakage on the later first gen and G2 series?
    The bolt pieces that engage the frame and barrel, firing pins, and hammer. The hammer is a difficult one to source. Do NOT add a hammer extender as that often leads to a broken hammer.

Another thing to note is the Armor Alloy frames are not quite compatible with the other frames unless returned to T/C to ream the barrel pivot holes in the frame. That service is no longer offered, so caveat emptor with any such frame.

As far as spare parts, it is less expensive to purchase a spare frame or pistol. Earlier this year, I grabbed a .35 Remington Super 14 barrel, a late Gen 1 frame and furniture, a Leupold M8-2X EER scope, a T/C leather case, and a holster for $780, including FFL fees. I wanted it for the frame and scope. The .35 Remington barrel was a plus as I have experience with the round from a Marlin 336SS, but I will likely send it down the road as I do not have a compelling use for it.

Not mine but may be of interest. $550 is pretty fair. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...#post-13285205

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Not mine but may be of interest. $550 is pretty fair. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...#post-13285205
    There's a handheld flamethrower!

User Tag List