Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The Marlin 1894c manual says they won't feed wadcutters, so of course I had to try it. They work "well enough" if you work the lever briskly, but it certainly isn't smooth. The ideal would be to feed them into the chamber singly, which involves some ammo juggling. If somebody made a lever action rifle with a magazine cutoff, me and probably at least three other people on the planet would be enthused about it.

I have all the stuff I need except the time, to load up a mess of wadcutters using Missouri Bullet Company's hardcast, coated wadcutter. Might be fun to see how quiet I can make them.
    Wonder if they'd work better loaded in Magnum cases.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Woah, that sounds like some kinda rookie mistake, actually adding it all up in advance... [emoji41]
    And then blowing it away. Just picked up the Choate M4 adapter, a composite stock like on Lost River's .45, and one tapered and one bull carbine forend. Now I'm all set for any combination I've thought about trying. Prices were cheap on the single shot Fudd forum... Not anything I had planned at lunchtime.

ETA... Last three posts in this thread are me. I need to take a break, methinks.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-12-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    And then blowing it away. Just picked up....
    You Da Man!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

So where would a fella get a 357mag barrel, in stainless, in minimum rifle length of 16"? Asking for a friend....

Seriously though, upthread it was mentioned that there was an advantage of using the Encore for rimless rifle rounds, does that imply that the Contender has trouble with them? If I were to start screwing around with these again probably 38/357 and 300BO would be a couple of good ones.

Site Supporter
    So where would a fella get a 357mag barrel, in stainless, in minimum rifle length of 16"? Asking for a friend....

Seriously though, upthread it was mentioned that there was an advantage of using the Encore for rimless rifle rounds, does that imply that the Contender has trouble with them? If I were to start screwing around with these again probably 38/357 and 300BO would be a couple of good ones.
    For barrels: MGM.

Chris

I have a contender barrel in 300 BO Rimmed. The case is made from .360 Dan Wesson brass, necked down using standard 300 BO dies. I like mine a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    For barrels: MGM.
    Cool, and they have Savage Prefits…

Site Supporter
    Cool, and they have Savage Prefits…
    Their after-sales support is fantastic too. I bought my MGM 35 Whelen barrel used, yet they still took it in on two occasions and made changes for me free of charge (I was willing and expecting to pay each time).

Chris

Potato photo of 300 BO Rimmed

Name:  IMG_0261.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  46.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Not anything I had planned at lunchtime.
    Don't feel bad, we bought our house at lunchtime after deciding to look at it at 10:00am, and we have been happy there for 25 years.

User Tag List