Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

On a somewhat related note, Hornady has announced subsonic .30-30 ammo, and the related component bullet.

A 16" to 20" Encore or Contender in .30-30 with a can would be a useful thing to own.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    What are the obvious advantages?
    AFAIK, that it can handle more powerful cartridges. Also, T/C currently supports it with muzzle loader barrels. They used to sell ML barrels for the G2 only, but no longer do. Lots of chatter findable on Contender-focused forums about that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    On a somewhat related note, Hornady has announced subsonic .30-30 ammo, and the related component bullet.
    Interesting they are only advertising the .300 BO bullet (190gr) as a component. The loaded .30-30 round, which should be capable of driving a heavier bullet, is 175 gr. I'd love to see them publish load data for that 190gr bullet in .30-30, .308 and .30-06. Could be a stellar lower-recoil option.

Also, I'll just note that loading XTPs to subsonic MV in a 147gr 9mm and 230gr .45 Auto and calling it a new product line does not require the involvement of the engineering department, unless they use engineers to assemble bills of materials for new packaging.

A 16" to 20" Encore or Contender in .30-30 with a can would be a useful thing to own.
    I'm leaning more and more that way...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This is a good read (quoting SSK Facebook post by Lehigh's David Fricke, explaining his personal history with and love for Contenders and how it led to the new Contender frame project):

https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/...596#1880042596
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-09-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Interesting they are only advertising the .300 BO bullet (190gr) as a component. The loaded .30-30 round, which should be capable of driving a heavier bullet, is 175 gr. I'd love to see them publish load data for that 190gr bullet in .30-30, .308 and .30-06. Could be a stellar lower-recoil option.

Also, I'll just note that loading XTPs to subsonic MV in a 147gr 9mm and 230gr .45 Auto and calling it a new product line does not require the involvement of the engineering department, unless they use engineers to assemble bills of materials for new packaging.

I'm leaning more and more that way...
    I wonder if there are stability issues with the 190 grain bullet at subsonic velocities in common .30-30 twist rates? That's total speculation on my part. I also hope to see load data, and odds are they will. I skip every other generation of the Hornady Manual, so I'm due for the next one.

I also got a chuckle out of the "new" 147 grain 9mm and 230 grain .45 ACP loads....
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    but needing a proper rear sight to shift the glass to the longer barrel
    If he's OK with a factory sight, I think I have some. Send me a PM.

Cartridges with a larger base diameter and/or higher pressure can be used in the Encore. As a hinged action it still has its limitations, but you can move up from .30-30 to .308, .30-06, .300WM in an Encore.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Cartridges with a larger base diameter and/or higher pressure can be used in the Encore. As a hinged action it still has its limitations, but you can move up from .30-30 to .308, .30-06, .300WM in an Encore.
    I had a 7mmRemMag that I wish I still had, though I do wish I still had every car, gun and motorcycle I ever traded away.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Some guys have covered it, but to me, the most obvious advantage of the Encore is the ability to use high-pressure rimless cartridges. If you are really going to push things to the max, the Encore can host a variety of high-pressure wildcats, like the SSK Dreadnaught series, or a 6.5-06 AI, 280 AI, etc. With the Contender, you are limited to wildcatting off of low pressure rimmed cartridges. .225 Win, .307 Win, .30-30 Win, .30-40 Krag, .348 Win, .444 Marlin, .45-70.

The Contender is much easier to do a fantastic trigger job on than the Encore.

The point of view that I come from is that of a big game and predator hunter in the West. Long shots in the wind are the norm, so powerful high-velocity cartridges are preferred. If I was shooting whitetails at under 100 yards from a tree stand it would be different.

I wonder if there are stability issues with the 190 grain bullet at subsonic velocities in common .30-30 twist rates? That's total speculation on my part.
    Hadn't thought of that, obviously. It makes sense. T/C and Marlin use 1:10, but Henry and Winchester use 1:12. Could be a tad slow.
    Not another dime.

Olong, Hambo, Cornstalker,
    Thx much.

Makes sense. In that case I would lean Contender for a lower pressure chambering. I used to think a suppress capable. .45 LC to throw 300 grains at 800-900 fps was just the ticket to handle some large pests discretely.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I started out this thread wondering what the big deal was, because I was never dissatisfied with the Encore. But the more I read the more I realize most of what interests me would be low pressure rounds anyway. Thinking a 16" 38 wadcutter would be pretty quiet without a can...

User Tag List