Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

SSK reboots the Contender

I know it's not a revolver but this seems to be the best spot until I petition @LittleLebowski for a Single-Shot, Specialty Pistol and Other Otherwise Archaic Firearms sub-forum.

SSK-50 FRAMES

Here is the simplest way to describe the NEW SSK-50 frame, the "BEST EDITION OF THE LAST MODEL ORIGINAL CONTENDER MADE". The exception is that it is made of stronger materials and to more consistent specifications, with state of the art CNC technology.

Manufactured by Lehigh Defense/SSK Firearms in PA, they have revived the legendary T/C platform from the ashes, and this is the best news for the single shot community in decades. David Fricke of Lehigh Defense, was first introduced to the Original Contender 41 years ago, and he is the driving force behind the revival of this platform that was discontinued roughly 17 years ago. He also has a passion for the wildcat calibers created by his friend and mentor, JD Jones, and has a quoted goal of "Making Wildcatting Mainstream" bringing forth the resources of probably the most innovative ammunition and bullet manufacturer to support that goal with ammunition, brass, dies and bullets.

Since this frame includes the "easy open trigger guard revision" all G1 Contender, current production T/C G2, MGM, Bullberry, and SSK Contender barrels will work on these frames.

100% Crossover Compatibility: meaning that all Original Contender barrels, stock sets, grip sets, and accessories will work perfectly on this new frame. Any chambering that worked well on the Original Contender will work as well or better on this frame.

The new SSK-50 boasts a Stainless Steel frame with a black nitride finished trigger guard, black oxide finished hammer and trigger to create a stunning package. The trigger is as good, if not better than the Original Contender's famous trigger that we hear about all the time.

3 frame options are available on this initial offering:

1) The LYNX engraved edition for $275-shipped to your FFL dealer.

2) The HausOfArms Logo (in place of the LYNX) edition for $275-shipped to your FFL dealer.

3) The "Flatside" has no engraving and has an up charge of $40 as these are hand selected for finish perfection, just like the old days at the custom shop, shipped to your FFL dealer.

Unlike standard T/C offerings that we have been accustomed to where the frames are designated at the factory and shipped with the appropriate stock or grip set. These frames are not designated therefore can be used for either pistol or rifle just like an AR lower checking the "other" box on page 2 of the 4473! If a full firearm is shipped then that would designate to either handgun or long gun box being checked on the 4473.

Lifetime factory warranty.

Enjoy, Marty
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

That is cool. Many years ago I had a collection of those. Used to hunt exclusively with Contenders.
    The SSK barrels I had were the .375 JDJ and .257 JDJ. Both were absolutely awesome. Killed prairie dogs, coyotes, a badger, deer, antelope and bear at distances up to 326 yards with them. Good stuff.

Had a couple of Bellm barrels too. A .308 Bellm and a .45-70 throated for 500-grain bullets.

The Contender is an awesome platform. I love to see it come back. I never warmed to the Encore, despite its obvious advantages.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This SSK update is awesome. You'll pay about that for a decent classic frame. Stainless models are very rare. Most of the classics that were built with any inherent corrosion resistance were plated, and there are some minor issues that need to be addressed with fit of components due to the plating thickness.

I've thought about starting a thread for Tactical Single-Shots in Rifles and Carbines.

Due to the breech face being basically directly above the grip, a 17-inch barrel carbine ends up about as long as a 10.5 AR with a muzzle device. And they are very light. And probably legal everywhere. A 21-inch SPC barrel would make a heck of a youth rifle.

Choate even has a PG that mounts a buffer tube, so you can have an adjustable LOP stock on your carbine. They also have folders. Could be very convenient way to have something in the truck that will put down a wounded animal or take shots of opportunity on varmints, etc.

I've been waffling on barrel length. I'm planning to get one made in .45 Auto. The excuse is to work up well-behaved .45 Super loads with instrumentation. Theoretically, I should make it match the length of my longest .45 Super-capable pistol barrel to make sure nothing weird happens when the bullet clears the muzzle. But I kinda want to mess around with the minimalist carbine concept, too. Having a USP .45 on my belt while hunting with it would make a ton of sense.

I happen to know where there's a 24-in. MGM barrel in .44 Magnum for sale at the moment.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

A 17-inch .357 Maximum barrel is on my list of projects for my Contender. Very versatile gun, although I find that rather than use many barrels on one frame I tend to simply accumulate frames along with barrels...

I have a twenty-six inch SSK stainless barrel chambered in .45 ACP for one of my Contender actions. It handles everything from wadcutter loads to .45 Super with no issues. And it is short and handy, even with that long barrel. For many years, I had SSK #1 barrel in .30-20 (.32-20 Win with a .308" bore) but got tired of dealing with .32-20 brass. A buddy who is much more patient has it now. SSK makes good stuff, especially the T'SOB mount and rings.

In any event, I am ordering one of the new "flatside" frames.

Site Supporter
    Years ago I had an original Contender with a 30-30 pistol barrel and 7mmTCU barrel. Neat gun, but it didn't fill a niche for me, so I sold it. I now have an Encore rifle with a 17" 35 Whelen barrel and a Katahdin 20" 50cal muzzleloader. The 35 is a little barky, so I'm experimenting with heavy cast bullets and pistol powders to see if I can get something more pleasant to shoot that will still have terminal effect on deer and bear out to 100yds.

The new Contender is interesting. I could be tempted to set up a 357max carbine...

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 10-21-2019 at 06:02 AM.

My name is Hambo and I have a Contender/Encore addiction. Added to my Xmas list.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Years ago I had an original Contender with a 30-30 pistol barrel and 7mmTCU barrel. Neat gun, but it didn't fill a niche for me, so I sold it. I now have an Encore rifle with a 17" 35 Whelen barrel and a Katahdin 20" 50cal muzzleloader. The 35 is a little barky, so I'm experimenting with heavy cast bullets and pistol powders to see if I can get something more pleasant to shoot that will still have terminal effect on deer and bear out to 100yds.

The new Contender is interesting. I could be tempted to set up a 357max carbine...

Chris
    How do you like that 20" Katahdin barrel? I'm tired of hauling a Knight Bighorn through the thick woods here so I can shoot something at 30 yards, and an Encore with a Katahdin barrel looks like just the ticket. It would also give me the ability to play with other calibers easily.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    How do you like that 20" Katahdin barrel? I'm tired of hauling a Knight Bighorn through the thick woods here so I can shoot something at 30 yards, and an Encore with a Katahdin barrel looks like just the ticket. It would also give me the ability to play with other calibers easily.
    I like it. It's pretty accurate, compact, and relatively light. I use mine with a peep rear and fiber front sight. I use mine with Blackhorn209 powder and 44cal 240gr XTP HPs. I don't recall the exact velocity, but with 90gr of BH209, it's a good bit faster than the same bullet in a 44mag, but well under 2k fps. Once I use up the last of my XTPs, I'll use either my home-cast 260gr SWCs or 310gr WFNs (also home cast).

It's also a good plinker with patched round ball and a 50gr Pyrodex pellet, though the clean up is worse.

Chris

I had an Encore for a while. I know I had a 26" 7mm RemMag for it, and a 20ga rifled slug barrel. Put the FO Williams peep on it and it was cool. These days maybe a SIG Romeo would be a nice setup. Have recently been thinking about stepping back in.

User Tag List