Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

Delta V drops off but I’ve always wondered if a longer pistol caliber barrel gets much quieter (suppressed) as it gets longer. The theory being that the pressure of the gas exiting the barrel would drop as length increases. Seems like a Contender is a great configuration for a longer suppressed barrel because there’d be no sound coming from an ejection port and the breech is so far back in the action. Anyone have a lathe and want to do “decibels by the inch?”

Ill be spending $$
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Site Supporter
    IIRC part of the reason for the JDJ wildcats using the 444 cases was not just the pressure but the back thrust against the breach. I remember looking over SSKs catalog and dreaming of which caliber to buy for hunting. I do remember that a 308 was a no go in a contender but a 300 savage was ok and the 309 JDJ the hot 30 cal set up. I remember thinking that for hunting a 6.5 JDJ and a .375 JDJ would cover anything I would want to hunt. I hunted with a family friend that had had more than a few contender barrels. He also hunted all over the world. The last time I hunted with him was a whitetail hunt in Texas. He used a 375 JDJ for everything. Deer, turkey, boar, javelina; a 375 slug whistled right through and didn’t damage any meat. Time for me to get out my contender and finally get an SSK handcannon

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Delta V drops off but I’ve always wondered if a longer pistol caliber barrel gets much quieter (suppressed) as it gets longer. The theory being that the pressure of the gas exiting the barrel would drop as length increases. Seems like a Contender is a great configuration for a longer suppressed barrel because there’d be no sound coming from an ejection port and the breech is so far back in the action. Anyone have a lathe and want to do “decibels by the inch?”
    This is why I've contemplated a pistol caliber carbine for HD. Especially with .38 SPL, which is a lower-pressure round to begin with, but also 147gr 9mm. About 1/5 the amount of powder of a 5.56 round expanding into ~2.5x the bore volume may be significantly less damaging to hearing when fired in a hallway. The fact that it's a faster burning powder and has more time to complete its burn can't hurt.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Just gonna leave this thought here... Contender, Choate M4 grip, SBA3, whatever pistol length barrel...

Possibly as fun as my Ruger Charger with a shockwave blade brace and a can.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by jandbj; 10-23-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...gamerifles.htm
    https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...cartridges.htm

Articles above will lead you down an entertaining rabbit hole of thoughts on building the perfect pistol caliber single shot. I freely admit, it’s had me order .32 ACP dies and now a .32 H&R contender barrel.

I've thought about buying/ trading for a Contender so many times but somehow the $$ always goes to something else.... This will likely change that.

Behold, the one off custom job.

It is a super cool little thing. I forgot I even had it until this thread came up. Sadly it has been sitting unused for far too long.

That Charger looks like loads of fun! One of these days I need to pick one of those up, as I have a .22 can already and could seriously make use of it!

This thread isn’t good for me. I seem to have strong but intermittent urges to get a T/C pistol and some wildcat cartridges and have myself a ball.

Damn you P-F, as usual.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    This thread isn’t good for me. I seem to have strong but intermittent urges to get a T/C pistol and some wildcat cartridges and have myself a ball.

Damn you P-F, as usual.
    Two bits of advice on wildcats:
    -make sure you can find dies before you buy a barrel
    -avoid cartridges based on obscure brass
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List