Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

I finally came across a 30-30 barrel locally. It’s a 23” bull that I think will work quite handily with a carbine setup. I have an unused Vortex Venom that’s languishing in a pocket of my range bag that will get tried out first although I’ll probably go the route of a 1-4 LPVO. Name:  2859A2EF-E7B4-465D-A73F-4DF19C2A6A51.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  29.2 KB

The picture was just for fun but I suspect if I had a good shooting stick I could make it work.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I would love to have a 10" Bull Barrel 357 Maximum.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    I would love to have a 10" Bull Barrel 357 Maximum.
    SSK has one on their website.

Is anyone still making ~16” .357 Encore barrels? Preferably Mag but a Max would suffice I suppose.

Part of me wants a .357 Mag Contender/Encore carbine as a replacement for my ugly but functional .357 Cadet. Of course another part of me says to keep the Cadet because I don’t shoot the rifles I currently have anyway.🙄
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is anyone still making ~16” .357 Encore barrels? Preferably Mag but a Max would suffice I suppose.
    Last time I looked, a year or two ago, MGM and other semi-custom barrel makers would. They're not terribly expensive either. I'd go with Max so you could shoot 3 cartridges from it.

Chris

Part of me wants a .357 Mag Contender/Encore carbine as a replacement for my ugly but functional .357 Cadet. Of course another part of me says to keep the Cadet because I don’t shoot the rifles I currently have anyway.🙄
    Here's one on SSK's website, 16.25" and threaded.

https://www.sskfirearms.com/357-rem-max-cbl16-25.html

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Here's one on SSK's website, 16.25" and threaded.

https://www.sskfirearms.com/357-rem-max-cbl16-25.html
    SBR’d my Contender years ago… but THAT is tempting.

If you reload, Mike Bellm says he can cut a .357 chamber deeper so you can seat bullets farther out and get very near to Max performance.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Got a phone call from Marty at Haus of Arms today. He finally has SSK-50 frames inbound and I'm on the list from when I put my name in however many years ago that was. So of course I said yes to a flatside. Price has gone up quite a bit, so I only bit on one. Hope I don't kick myself later for not getting two.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List