Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I started out this thread wondering what the big deal was, because I was never dissatisfied with the Encore. But the more I read the more I realize most of what interests me would be low pressure rounds anyway. Thinking a 16" 38 wadcutter would be pretty quiet without a can...
    It's funny you should mention that. I was shooting 148 grain wadcutters out of my 18.5" Marlin 1894c today. It's probably not hearing safe enough to shoot without ear pro, but I did it a half dozen times anyway. Sounds like a loud airgun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    They feed in Special brass? Any tuneup required to make heavy "empty cases" run?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I prefer the switch on the Contender hammer for rimfire cartridges over the offset chamber solution of the Encore.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    It's funny you should mention that. I was shooting 148 grain wadcutters out of my 18.5" Marlin 1894c today. It's probably not hearing safe enough to shoot without ear pro, but I did it a half dozen times anyway. Sounds like a loud airgun.
    Were they handloads? If so, what powder?
    It would be handy to be able to shoot that damn groundhog behind the house with people wondering "What was that?" instead of "Who is shooting?" It is legal, but seems like somebody always calls the cops.

Should have known a return to PF.com would cost me money.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I put together a budget for my pending .30-30 project and the bottom line has the thing on hold indefinitely.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-11-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I put together a budget for my pending .30-30 project and the bottom line has the thing on hold indefinitely.
    Woah, that sounds like some kinda rookie mistake, actually adding it all up in advance... [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Woah, that sounds like some kinda rookie mistake, actually adding it all up in advance...
    #truth
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Were they handloads? If so, what powder?
    It would be handy to be able to shoot that damn groundhog behind the house with people wondering "What was that?" instead of "Who is shooting?" It is legal, but seems like somebody always calls the cops.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    They feed in Special brass? Any tuneup required to make heavy "empty cases" run?
    The Marlin 1894c manual says they won't feed wadcutters, so of course I had to try it. They work "well enough" if you work the lever briskly, but it certainly isn't smooth. The ideal would be to feed them into the chamber singly, which involves some ammo juggling. If somebody made a lever action rifle with a magazine cutoff, me and probably at least three other people on the planet would be enthused about it.

They were some leftover Remington 148 grain wadcutters. I just switched over to Federal for my J-frame and was using up my old stock.

I have all the stuff I need except the time, to load up a mess of wadcutters using Missouri Bullet Company's hardcast, coated wadcutter. Might be fun to see how quiet I can make them.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I wonder if there are stability issues with the 190 grain bullet at subsonic velocities in common .30-30 twist rates? That's total speculation on my part. I also hope to see load data, and odds are they will.
    Just to close the loop...

I contacted Hornady CS, and they recommend 1:8" or faster the 190gr. That's definitely custom for a .30-30 barrel.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List