Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

Name:  1531CD2C-3B61-442D-BE66-88DA53764431.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  82.3 KBName:  171B5F5E-74FF-457D-A340-1D593F4D6C1A.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  71.0 KB
    Updated Contender rifle pic with 16” barrel... compared to an already small CZ527.

And new and improved Ruger Charger folding brace setup.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    After languishing in the Fudd forum classifieds for a couple months, my 24-in. (too long, heavy, and not threaded) .44 barrel just sold. So, heaven forbid I hang onto that money, I'm shopping carbine barrels. Here are the ideas:

.223 Super 16. This is such an obviously good idea it will probably happen regardless of other options. T/C factory twist on .224 caliber barrels is 1:12, according to the internet, which should just stabilize the Nosler Bonded 64gr. Would test 62gr Gold Dot/Fusions, understanding they would be unlikely to work. But the Nosler, assuming accuracy can be found, makes this setup good for whatever a slow-fire .223 is good for. And down through Hornet to .22 WMR-level loads with reduced load data that's available for varmints.

.30-30 discussed a couple pages back: ~18.50-in, intermediate taper, threaded 5/8-24, 1:8 twist to enable the use of the Hornady subsonic 190 gr expanding projectile. This is an interesting science project, but since I don't already have a .30-30, less compelling. Also, I have a .308 that can do everything this could do as far as reduced loads, although it might not stabilize the 190gr due to 1:10 twist. Isn't Contender-handy, but I already have it.

Something starting with a 4, threaded 5/8-24, and 16.75-in long:

A .45 Auto would enable the use of cheap FMJ factory ammo for practice and relatively inexpensive stuff off Doc's list for game. Standard pressure .45 Auto should be silly quiet; +P may go supersonic. Could handle .45 Super beautifully, which would make a USP for backup a neat companion.

A .44 Magnum has more flexibility, but is higher cost and requires hand loading to exploit the options. JHP and JSP options from 180-300 grains, copper expanding and solids. Cast from 165 up to ~325gr. Can hit harder, be flatter shooting for more range with heavier bullets than the .45. It wouldn't be as optimized for the can with factory ammo; there aren't as many choices for reliable, modern bullets that can be counted on to expand and penetrate at sub-1000 ft/sec. However, a 320 grain flat nose at 1050 would go through a lot of hog without stopping.

Help me spend this money!
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    .223 Super 16. This is such an obviously good idea it will probably happen regardless of other options. T/C factory twist on .224 caliber barrels is 1:12, according to the internet, which should just stabilize the Nosler Bonded 64gr. Would test 62gr Gold Dot/Fusions, understanding they would be unlikely to work. But the Nosler, assuming accuracy can be found, makes this setup good for whatever a slow-fire .223 is good for. And down through Hornet to .22 WMR-level loads with reduced load data that's available for varmints.
    So, a .223 Super 16 barrel showed up today. It's so beautiful, I want to collect them all. Old-school glossy bluing. Almost too nice to use as a knock-around problem solver/critter broom that you have with you in the truck or on the tractor or ATV. But it will function pretty awesome that way, I reckon. Tiny and light. Looking forward to getting it set up.
    Not another dime.

I've had an itch to pick up a .357 Bisley Blackhawk for several months now. Pretty much have myself talked out of it on the basis that what it will do better than my GPs, it probably won't do as well as the Contender, and what it will do better than the Contender, it won't do as well as my GPs. At least that's my thinking.

If someone has some good reasons why that thinking is wrong, I'd be all ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd tend to agree with your thinking.

Okie John
    Have you thought about a CVA Hunter or Scout? I just woke up and remembered I can buy a whole rifle for way less than an MGM barrel. The .35 Whelen is 25 inches, and you might be able to find an old fluted stainless/Realtree version still in stock if you look.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I've looked at them in the past, but I don't want to invest in and learn yet another platform. My Katahdin 50cal barrel is a shooter, so I would be holding onto the Encore frame for it.

Chris
    Well, I was poking around. Going down the CVA rabbit hole reminded me that they had CVA Scout pistols a few years ago, and got me thinking about a longer-barrel .357 again. Found a slightly-used 10-inch MGM .357 Magnum bull barrel with their rail attached on fleabay; hit the BIN. Added 1000 cases of Starline brass, rather than depend on the hodgepodge of once-fired in various brands I have around (that'll be fine for plated DEWCs and stuff, but not serious .357 load workups). I already have a forend for this barrel and it will be the home for a handgun scope.

For some reason, I feel a lot better about this than I did when I was thinking about getting a CVA in .44RM, which I would then need to get chopped and threaded, etc before my little terrier brain could rest. Mostly because it's just putting together pieces that I've had some sort of plan to assemble for a long time already, there isn't really any new "project" built into it other than shooting and loading, and I know I can fairly easily sell the barrel for close enough to what I'll have in it if I ever want to, rather than significant unrecoverable sunk costs.

So I have 10-in. octagon barrels with iron sights for plinking and small game/varmints in .22LR and .38 SPL, the new .357 bull barrel that will be scoped, and the .223 Super 16. I know it's not very Contender-y to have standard, cheap, everyday chamberings rather than handloader-only chamberings developed just for the Contender where you have to convert brass from something else, but it should keep me going for awhile.

And it should keep me from buying any SA revolvers - why buy a 7.5-inch single action when you already have a 10-inch single shot of similar size, maybe a little less weight and no cylinder gap to get flame cut? One challenge I'd like to see is an empty Blackhawk and an empty Contender on the bench with 12 rounds of ammo each. Who would get the 12th round on target first? Obviously, if you start with a loaded Blackhawk and a loaded Contender, you know who will get the 6th round out first, but the first 7th round will for sure be some guy with a DA, as I alluded in the first quoted post above.

I may have to check in with @JonInWA's Tactical Tailor and see if I can get a sweet tanker or something made for carrying the beast around outside.

Back to the OP: I checked on the SSK frames in the past week. Apparently, S&W has voiced some form of objections to the plan, and that's delayed the delivery schedule.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-06-2020 at 02:21 PM.
    Not another dime.

Guess I'm turning this thread into my personal Contender blog.

Just stumbled across this on 300blktalk:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...stock-adapter/

And the manufacturer site. Some interesting options!

https://sharpsbros.com/t-c-contender-ssk50/
    Not another dime.

Guess I'm turning this thread into my personal Contender blog.

Just stumbled across this on 300blktalk:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...stock-adapter/

And the manufacturer site. Some interesting options!

https://sharpsbros.com/t-c-contender-ssk50/
    I saw that... interesting option.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Another video on the Sharps grip.

Not another dime.

Man, y'all are not doing anything to blunt my desire for a suppressed .44Mag Contender...

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I can see the daughter’s first “firearm” being a Contender with Sharps grip and brace.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I would not want to use that Sharps grip for any chambering generating more than moderate recoil; it appears likely to direct recoil straight back into the web of your hand. It is nice to see innovation on the Contender platform, however, it's a great gun and very versatile.

User Tag List