Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: SSK reboots the Contender

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Behold, the one off custom job.

It is a super cool little thing. I forgot I even had it until this thread came up. Sadly it has been sitting unused for far too long.
    That rocks. I reckon +P HST would still be subsonic, and with that long barrel to expand gas in, should be stupid quiet. People who hunt whitetails with a can describe them basically just standing there wondering what bit them until they fall over...

How do you like that poly butt stock? Looks like you have extra LOP in the leather pad.

What's your all-up weight and OAL? (Without can, I guess...)

Does the barrel have six lands the same width as the grooves (typical of factory T/C .45 Auto barrels), or a more "normal" bore configuration?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I had no idea, so I threw it on the postal scale.

4 pounds, 8 ounces for those who cant see the pics.

Edit to add it is a rubber slip on pad. I put on there to add a little length to the thing.

The poly buttstock is great, no complaints, but then again, I really have hardly used this. I meant to, It was one of those things that got put by the wayside and forgotten about.

I have absolutely NO idea about the twist rate, but I told them to thread it, since I would be shooting 230s pretty much exclusively and using a can, I am sure it is a standard twist rate.
    Last edited by Lost River; 10-25-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    This thread isn’t good for me. I seem to have strong but intermittent urges to get a T/C pistol and some wildcat cartridges and have myself a ball.

Damn you P-F, as usual.
    I have the same urges but I've gotten realistic with myself about wildcats. I don't have the time now to reload factory calibers so there's no chance I'll have time to fiddle with most wildcats.

I think that if/when I decide to jump back into the Contender pool I'll go with a late first gen or a G2 over the SSK. I'm just not a fan of stainless Contenders. I understand the "why" of having one in stainless but they just don't look "right" to me.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I’ve always wanted a nice lightweight 16” threaded barrel 9mm with peep sights and maybe a red dot. This might be the ticket. Plus if it doesn’t work out like it does in my mind I can always toss on another barrel
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Sweet baby Jesus I'm not sure how I missed this thread. I got a little frisky with my handloads in my .357maximum years ago and ruined my Contender frame. I still have a bunch of barrels and a reason to pick up another frame

I need to fully read this thread. Been super busy. I will put my Moderator hat on though and fully take Contenders under the revolver banner. I have both a .444 Katadyn (sp.) Hunter and a custom little 6.8 rifle that is a dream to carry in the field. I haven’t gotten to shoot anything yet with the 6.8, but it was really nice to carry getting into hides and blinds and just walking around. It has been cut to 16” and is really compact.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I kind of want to sell my Encore and two barrels as it's overkill for my needs and get one of these new Contenders and a 16" 357max or 44SM barrel. Either cartridge could be loaded using my existing dies and bullets, but I'd need to get brass. Both, properly loaded, would handle my hunting needs. The only drawback is lack of a good muzzleloader option.

Chris

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I will put my Moderator hat on though and fully take Contenders under the revolver banner.
    I think we've all been reckoning it fits under the (slightly) broader category of, "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I kind of want to sell my Encore and two barrels as it's overkill for my needs and get one of these new Contenders and a 16" 357max or 44SM barrel. Either cartridge could be loaded using my existing dies and bullets, but I'd need to get brass. Both, properly loaded, would handle my hunting needs. The only drawback is lack of a good muzzleloader option.

Chris
    https://matchgrademachine.com/custom...loader-barrel/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Yup. Aware of it. The problem is that it is a 45cal, which means I will have a hard time finding sabots and I won't be able to use my existing 44cal cast bullets.

Chris

User Tag List