Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite 9mm training ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

So according to that all three brands are made in the same factory
    I'm not seeing why being made by the same company in the same factory means anything, but my personal experience is that Blazer is a poorer performer compared to Lawman and I try to avoid it. Lawman for me seems to be loaded hotter, and 25 yard accuracy seems better. I would never consider substituting Blazer for a defense load.

While I have your attention, consider posting your church SWAT team's qual, perhaps it could be used for drill of the week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I'm not seeing why being made by the same company in the same factory means anything, but my personal experience is that Blazer is a poorer performer compared to Lawman and I try to avoid it. Lawman for me seems to be loaded hotter, and 25 yard accuracy seems better. I would never consider substituting Blazer for a defense load.
    Where did I ever say did I would use Blazer Brass as a defense load? Why would I be so foolish as use Hardball 9 mm as a defense load?

Maybe I'm out there but I'm going to guess that if they make them in the same Factory they very likely make them on the same machines. Because of that I'm going to guess that Blazer brass in general is going to perform closer to Speer Gold Dot then say Winchester White Box would. And unlike you I do have a little bit of manufacturing experience to base that opinion on.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    While I have your attention, consider posting your church SWAT team's qual, perhaps it could be used for drill of the week.
    Given you're being a horrendous bitch right now why would I want to do that?

I'd like to say I have a standard practice ammo, but I usually just buy a lot of Federal American Eagle 115 grain for training. Sometimes 147 depending on the gun. I shoot Hornady Critical Defense exclusively for matches because the FTX bullet is hella accurate, moreso even than XTPs.

My default round is 147 grain Lawman. I bought a number of cases of Federal 115 grain Syntech because it has very light recoil (1130 fps). I thought it would be great for Steel Challenge. While it's accurate with my HK P30L, turns out it's very inaccurate with my Dan Wesson V-bob. Back to Lawman 147s as my standard as soon as I finish up the Syntech.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    115 or 124 FMJ "pulls" or Bayou Coated Bullet reloaded over WSF or VVN320 or similar powders, range pickup brass, whatever small pistol primer is cheap/available. Loaded on my Dillon 550. Why - cheap and I actually like reloading. I leave the press setup and I reload 1000 at a time during the week - always have plenty on hand. Most of my shooting friends leave their brass on ground so "unlimited" 9mm brass. I buy projectiles when on sale by the thousand or by the "USPS box full" for reduced shipping costs.
    I like reloading too, there's just something about making your own quality ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I'd like to say I have a standard practice ammo, but I usually just buy a lot of Federal American Eagle 115 grain for training. Sometimes 147 depending on the gun. I shoot Hornady Critical Defense exclusively for matches because the FTX bullet is hella accurate, moreso even than XTPs.
    I really wish Hornady would make the FTX bullets available to reloaders.

For my practice/training/match ammo I've been running the ACME 122 NLG and 147 coated flat points. I'm moving to Precision Delta 124 JHPs because they mimic the Hornady XTP, at least in my guns I can't really tell any difference. With the base not having any exposed lead they smoke less. My new favorite powder is BE-86.

With the pricing of 9mm factory bulk these days it's getting hard to justify loading your own but I enjoy it so I'll likely continue. Other calibers make more sense from a monetary view.

FYI the great Chuck Pressburg recently said Lawman 124 is his favorite practice ammo. Then he said that he likes Magtech 124 as well, and Blazer will work in a pinch but that lead him into a rabbit hole about how tolerance stacking can work for or against you and basically ended up saying Blazer will not be too consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot whatever is on sale, though all else equal I prefer S&B or Fiocchi to Federal Champion/Rem UMC/Win White Box/Blazer. Remington UMC actually groups about as well as anything, it is just so dirty... Federal Champion probably groups the worst, but it is (was) as cheap as anything and readily available at Walmart...

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Sellier&Bellot 115gr.

About $190 shipped from SGA or occasionally about $169 with free shipping when brownells has on sale.

Great accuracy, pretty clean burning and stupid reliable. Think I'm probably around 10-12 cases and don't recall a single ammo problem. Might be just a bit hotter than other bargain stuff - but re - stupid reliable.
    Same here.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

CWM11B
    I use Speer Lawman or AE 147gr TMJ for practice, whichever is available. 147 standard Gold Dot is my carry, and both loads are a fair analogue to the duty round. I have shot thousands of all three loads, and in my former life typically bought (with other people's money ) about 250,000 thousand ball and 60-75k of GDHP per year. I saw millions of rounds go down range with no issues. I stay away from Winchester. During the ammo drought a few years back I bought 100k of 147 WWB for our transition. EVERY 50 round box had at least 4 rounds that didnt fire. Some had 10. I had the same issue with a 250 round case of 124gr I got from PSA. First box I opened had four failures to fire.

M882 - because it's free! I'd love a training load that replicates my carry 147, but, free beats any price I've found on the internet lately...

User Tag List