Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite 9mm training ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    CCI is owned/also owns Speer. In theory they load the Blazer Brass close to Gold Dot specs.
    Why does it matter that CCI owns Speer?

Whose theory that Blazer is loaded close to Gold Dot specs?

Lawman is billed to being similar to Speer's duty loadings, Blazer is sold as budget plinking ammo.

I'm sure you've shoot Blazer before, it's nowhere similar in recoil to Lawman and Gold Dot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My experience suggests Lawman is equivalent power and accuracy to duty ammo, but loaded with ball at lower cost. Blazer brass is economy ammo and substantially less accurate for me.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 10-20-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    CCI is owned/also owns Speer. In theory they load the Blazer Brass close to Gold Dot specs.

CCI still does a few loads of blazer aluminum with Gold Dots loaded in them. The classic one was .44 Special - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001523065
    I've chronoed 124-grain Blazer Brass and it ran about 1050 fps from my CZ-75B. IIRC, that's about 100 fps slower than standard velocity Gold Dot. OTOH, I've also chronoed the above .44 Special load in both Blazer and nickled brass versions from my M21-4, and the Blazer ran ~100 fps faster than the brass-cased ammo (900 fps vs. 800 fps). This stuff doesn't have to make sense.

I went through a 500-round box of 115-grain Blazer Brass and had several rounds leave dark gray streaks on the target where the rifling had apparently cut through the thin brass plating on the bullet. CCI was cutting corners a bit too much on that lot.

I generally use whatever brass cased ammo is the cheapest at the time I’m buying. I don’t care much about bullet weight as long as it functions. I tried Blazer Aluminum in 2018 and had some issues, mostly when combined with Magpul Glock magazines. I have been considering trying Tula steel cased though. It’s substantially cheaper than brass cased ammo and a good friend of mine goes through numerous cases of it every year and hasn’t had many issues outside of a periodic hard primer. I wouldn’t shoot it through my duty/carry guns, just my training gun.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I'm sure you've shoot Blazer before, it's nowhere similar in recoil to Lawman and Gold Dot.
    To be honest with you, because recoil feel is so subjective - no I haven’t actually noticed much difference. If bullet weights are the same between loads, they all feel about the same to me. I never really notice until I’m trying to shoot very fast. I’m far more likely to notice a difference in accuracy between loads.

The only differences I’ve ever noticed are moving to +P loads or down to powderpuff loads. Otherwise, pretty much all 9mm feels about the same to me, almost all the time. The loads are all very similar in many respects, and while I’ve found differences in defense vs. practice ammo - I really use the same POI/POA practice carry ammo, so I don’t need to re-zero my sights. Not because one is really superior to another.

If both loads hit to the sights the same, even ~100 fps isn’t going to make much difference in shooting. When we do the energy math, the differences in these loads are the types of energies a person can produce with their hands. 30-40 ft/lbs of muzzle energy for a few miliseconds doesn’t make much of a difference until you’re well on the otherside of the shooting skill spectrum.

Only accuracy differences matter. I’d have to look through my records for last time I shot 147-blazer to tell you accuracy differences. It has been a while since I’ve used that ammo. Mostly because my local sources carry AE/Lawman or Syntech.

My favorite, I don't get often. Free.

Next, if I am shooting a new pistol, during its break in, I tend to try to buy 115 grain of whatever (seems a lot of American Eagle as I have caught sales/probably need some more). Once past that, I tend to want closer to the carry grain.

For full size guns, I have bought and shot 124 grain of whatever I can find (American Eagle, Winchester). Since I shoot non full size guns my hollowpoints tend to be 147, so they work in all size guns (budget). I have more 147 grain (American Eagle, Blazer brass) or (need some more) 150 grain Syntech, which I enjoy the less flash.

Site Supporter
    Usually WWB or Blazer Brass or Aluminum. Works and I wait for a good price to stock up. I'm not so techy a shooter that I worry about the weight of that and the SD ammo. I shoot the latter once in awhile in a match and don't see a difference as I'm not at the level of milliseconds. My accuracy seems fine. At the last match, I shot a mix of all kinds of stuff as I was cleaning out ammo for a move. WWB, Blazer, Speer, Hornady stuff - came in only 5 points down for a 5 stage match, so what do I know?

Of course, I'm running a 9mm 1911.
    If there's any funny stuff, I want to know that it's the gun, not the ammo.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Banned
    You're confusing Blazer with Speer Lawman.
    No I know the difference between the two but I am almost positive that it says on the Blazer box CCI /Speer. I don't happen to have a box handy right now but I will take a look tomorrow morning when I get home
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-21-2019 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    No I know the difference between the two but I am almost positive that it says on the Blazer box CCI /Speer. I don't happen to have a box handy right now but I will take a look tomorrow morning when I get home
    Lawman is advertised as being similar to duty loads, Blazer is advertised as plinking ammo.

Banned
    Lawman is advertised as being similar to duty loads, Blazer is advertised as plinking ammo.
    Let me say it this way. I'm not insisting that I'm right when I say that Blazer is made by Speer. I am saying that I know the difference between Blazer brass and Speer Lawman.

ETA I went and looked it up this is from a review of Blazer brass by Lucky Gunner

Blazer Brass loads are very similar to Speer Lawman ammunition which is predominantly used by the law enforcement community for range training. The CCI plant which producesseveral brands (CCI, Blazer, Blazer Brass, and Speer) is owned by ATK (the same company that owns Federal).
    So according to that all three brands are made in the same factory
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-21-2019 at 02:29 AM.

User Tag List