Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite 9mm training ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    I like S&B and even GECO 124gr. They’re both loaded a tad hotter than most 9mm, burn clean and they come in small boxes. The S&B is great especially for newbies because it says “9MM Para, 9mm Luger, 9x19” on the side to help clarify it for them.

I carry Federal 147gr HST and as logical as it may seem to use 147gr AE, it shoots way too soft for me and I prefer Lawman 147gr as a result since it seems to be just as hot as any Lawman ammo.
    147gr. American Eagle: Velocity 1,000 Energy 326
    147gr. Lawman: Velocity 985 Energy 317

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    147gr. American Eagle: Velocity 1,000 Energy 326
    147gr. Lawman: Velocity 985 Energy 317
    This seems odd to me. I have never tested any of this, but to me, Lawman always feels "hotter" in any given loading than does AE. Perhaps it has something to do with burn rate and barrel length? Mostly I shoot 3-3.9" 9mm guns with an occasional 4.5"

Or maybe it is just a subjective thing with me.

I've been using a lot of Blazer Brass 147gr. It's reasonably accurate from my Gen 5 19s (sub-3" at least, probably better if I could shoot), is close to POI with HSTs, and I get it for about .18/round delivered. Lately that's been my stockpiling load as I burn up the various 115gr fodder I came into.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    This seems odd to me. I have never tested any of this, but to me, Lawman always feels "hotter" in any given loading than does AE. Perhaps it has something to do with burn rate and barrel length? Mostly I shoot 3-3.9" 9mm guns with an occasional 4.5"

Or maybe it is just a subjective thing with me.
    No, it’s the same for me. Sure, the velocities might be the same but I remember when I went through 3 cases of AE 147gr and was vetting a pistol with 147gr HST I noticed the HST was much hotter than the ball ammo I was practicing with. Wasn’t the end of the world but I do feel the 147gr Lawman to be hotter than AE.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    No, it’s the same for me. Sure, the velocities might be the same but I remember when I went through 3 cases of AE 147gr and was vetting a pistol with 147gr HST I noticed the HST was much hotter than the ball ammo I was practicing with. Wasn’t the end of the world but I do feel the 147gr Lawman to be hotter than AE.
    The standard pressure 147gr. HST and 147gr AE are equally rated in Energy and Velocity.

For many cases it’s been S&B 115.

But lately I tried out a few hundred rounds of Winchester M17 115 flat point fmj sold in 150 round boxes and marketed as the new milspec I guess.

It has appeared competitive with S&B for precision but it feels a good bit hotter. More so than Lawman perhaps.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    @JHC - I chronographed that stuff and it came in around 1230 fps IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Yeah baby! I almost posted it felt +P. @GJM there's a flat point bear skull buster ah gaaaroonteee.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Here is where I posted it.

Here is where I posted it.
    From the pics up in that thread, I think the stuff I've bought from Academy has a larger meplat. Not dead certain, don't have any in front of me right now.

User Tag List