Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 9mm training ammo?

Fiocchi, American Eagle and my Beretta Nano's and Kahr love Wolf 115 gr. At $6.43 with fee shipping to my door, I am not complaining and it shoots just fine.

Speer Lawman. I like to run Gold Dots as my carry ammo of choice and lately I’ve been running 124gr for a while. My latest shipment is of the 147gr variety as it’s been a while since I’ve shot it and wanted to see if I could tell a difference, and if yes, how big a difference.

I typically shoot whatever is cheapest. I prefer brass case. I tend to like the Speer Lawman, Winchester NATO, Fiocchi stuff. The prices for 9mm seem to have increased slightly. Not long ago I remember seeing the brass cased ammo going for $.16-$.18 per round and now it seems the prices have slightly climbed to $.18-$20 per.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Speer Lawman. I like to run Gold Dots as my carry ammo of choice and lately I’ve been running 124gr for a while. My latest shipment is of the 147gr variety as it’s been a while since I’ve shot it and wanted to see if I could tell a difference, and if yes, how big a difference.

I’ll be interested in your thoughts on this. I considered ordering some 147 but just waited for 115 to be back in stock (I carry 115 gold dot now). just ordered another 4,000 of the 115 since availability from my preferred vendor seems to vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I’ll be interested in your thoughts on this. I considered ordering some 147 but just waited for 115 to be back in stock (I carry 115 gold dot now). just ordered another 4,000 of the 115 since availability from my preferred vendor seems to vary.
    There’s definitely going to be a difference going from 115 to 147. 115 is rather “poppy” while the 147 is going to feel less snappy and slightly more pushy.

124 to 147 does feel different, but not quite as much so. I’ve only shot around 50 rounds of it as I just used up the last of my 124 in the same match, but if I had to describe it, the 124 feels like it returns faster yet slightly snappier. The 147 feels slightly slower yet less snappy and slightly more pushy.

The difference is rather slight IMHO and isn’t really enough to make me like one over the other just yet, but need more 147 down range to determine that.

As a side note, 115gr Gold Dot isn’t on the list and for good reason. I’d recommend re-evaluating and choosing a heavier variety.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    There’s definitely going to be a difference going from 115 to 147. 115 is rather “poppy” while the 147 is going to feel less snappy and slightly more pushy.

124 to 147 does feel different, but not quite as much so. I’ve only shot around 50 rounds of it as I just used up the last of my 124 in the same match, but if I had to describe it, the 124 feels like it returns faster yet slightly snappier. The 147 feels slightly slower yet less snappy and slightly more pushy.

The difference is rather slight IMHO and isn’t really enough to make me like one over the other just yet, but need more 147 down range to determine that.

As a side note, 115gr Gold Dot isn’t on the list and for good reason. I’d recommend re-evaluating and choosing a heavier variety.
    Yes I have fired 115, 124, pretty fair quantities of both, and 147, not much. I didn’t like the 147 I tried, Blazer brass case flat point. Inaccurate and different poi in my weapon. I was interested in your thoughts on lawman 147 versus lawman 115 or 124.

i shoot a lot of 115 lawman. 115 gd performs the same. I have carefully considered my ammo selection over a course of many years and am comfortable with 115.
    Last edited by Medusa; 02-21-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    Yes I have fired 115, 124, pretty fair quantities of both, and 147, not much. I didn’t like the 147 I tried, Blazer brass case flat point. Inaccurate and different poi in my weapon. I was interested in your thoughts on lawman 147 versus lawman 115 or 124.

i shoot a lot of 115 lawman. 115 gd performs the same. I have carefully considered my ammo selection over a course of many years and am comfortable with 115.
    I've never been too wild about the blazer ammo...any of it. For burning up ammo on fast, close range target' it is acceptable (but in that case, really whatever is cheap is acceptable) however if I'm working a set of drills with a tighter accuracy standard I'll go with either AE 124 grain or 147 grain, or Speer Lawman 115 or 147 grain. It mostly depends on what is available.

I think the 147gr Lawman is pretty good stuff. A lot of my ammo choice depends on what my gun likes best, but I've found it to be about on par with the American Eagle 147 and about as accurate as the 115 grain lawman, which I've found to be some of the best shooting commercially available 9mm I've used. You may still experience shift in POI however. If given the choice between the three different weights of Lawman however, I'd go either 115 or 147 personally.

147 Lawman if I can find it at a good price. I carry 147 HST.

I like the TMJ bullet construction of Lawman ammunition for health reasons, so I'll usually buy Lawman of some type if it's cheap enough.

Otherwise I'll buy any reputable 9mm brass cased ammo that happens to be selling really, really cheap at the time I happen to be buying.

I tried a case or two of Blazer Brass. Wasn’t impressed and wasn’t worth the cost savings. You’ll generally get different POI between bullet weights and brands. Just the nature of the beast.

I tried a case or two of Blazer Brass. Wasn’t impressed and wasn’t worth the cost savings. You’ll generally get different POI between bullet weights and brands. Just the nature of the beast.
    When I got my G19 back from the mother ship in Smyrna in 2017, I ran a box of Blazer Brass through it and I thought for sure I had to send it back. Fortunately, once I ran some real ammo through it, it was right as rain again.

Probably a bad box but it was enough to put me off.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List