Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 at 37k rounds.........

@Trooper224 congrats on getting this 92 to high round count. glad i'm reading about your experience and not covering your ammo bill

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Trooper224, great report-thanks for taking the time to submit and discuss. The 92 design is a triumph of materials, design and manufacturing over a potentially problem inducing relatively high number of components. The guns just work, and do so over protracted periods of time/roundcounts. They are lubrication intensive puppies, though, particularly when compared to contemporary polymer-framed pistols.

While a leather or horsehide holster will be easier on the Bruniton finish than a comparable kydex holster, in the long run you're gonna have wear induced by all. Arguably kydex is easier to clean and see/remove abrasive particles from, but the clash of metal on hard polymer is simply going to wear on the contact points more visibly in a shorter amount of time. A well-fitted/molded kydex can minimize to an extent, but if it's something you're OCD about regarding your gun's finish, stick with leather/horsehide.

The finish on mine's seemingly held up remarkably well after years of use in my Olen kydex holsters.

Best, Jon
    I need that hat.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    @Trooper224 congrats on getting this 92 to high round count. glad i'm reading about your experience and not covering your ammo bill
    Thanks. Reloading keeps me going, which is what I need to be doing right now.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Possibly the coolest thread this month. That Beretta looks great.

As to lube, I once asked a guy with *extensive* experience what his unit used, and what he recommended. His reply: "You still drive that Mini S of yours? Just use the fresh synthetic off your dipstick, and keep training. It’s a Glock."
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I love threads like this that remind me why I subscribe here. You simply cannot get this quality of information anywhere else, much less a rational (ish), enjoyable discussion around it. Renewing immediately.

Site Supporter
    If Beretta releases new 92Ds, I don’t think I could resist.

Good to hear you finally got this gun broken in.

Site Supporter
    Did you consistently run any specific load(s) through that 37k+ round count? What a fantastic pistol!

As a Soldier that regularly runs M9 familiarization fire/qualification ranges, I've seen some seriously abused and neglected M9's still plugging away. I also regularly deal with Soldiers that blame the M9 for their lack of marksmanship and skill.
    In one recent case, I stopped an LT that was using an already-abused M9 as a hammer, and about an hour later an O3 that could run a pistol shot a perfect qual with the exact same M9.

I have two (an authentic M9 and a 92FS Inox) and I regularly feel the itch to buy more of them. Wilsons, LTT's, an M9A3, I want them all!
    Last edited by JRB; 10-22-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I need that hat.
    http://timemachine13.com/m_43_caps_.htm (Brent makes superb M43 hats, but what's on his site are all that'll be, as medical issues forced him to stop making them-I've got about 5 of his; spray them with Scotchguard, and you've got a superb functional all weather cap).

For the Beretta patch: https://www.amazon.com/SNOW-Firearms...1776469&sr=8-5

I do it for you, man!

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 10-22-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    GREAT looking gun. I do not know that much about Berettas but I have an opportunity to pick a 92 up for 400.00 Good deal in your opinion? I am concerned about the sights. On the 92 that I might purchase the front sight looks like it's welded in or not designed to be removed. No after market tinkering with as it's brand new in box. What kind of sites are on your gun? How does one change that front sight?

User Tag List