Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 at 37k rounds.........

Beretta 92 at 37k rounds.........

A few weeks ago, on the Beretta forum, I was asked for photos of my current training gun, which had surpassed the 35k round mark. Being primarily a collectors forum, most participants there view this as a high level round count. I know we here do not. However, I thought I'd post it up here as well, since you never know when such things might be useful.

The finish has held up pretty well. I contribute this to the use of a leather holster. Since I carry IWB I prefer a leather holster for that use, as I find it far more comfortable than plastic. A Kydex holster will trash a guns finish in no time flat. After thousands of presentations the finish is still in pretty good shape.

Now for the innards.

There's nothing to really see here other than some finish wear. Nothing is overly worn or fatigued. Everything remains in serviceable condition. There's a little erosion of the breach face around the firing pin hole, but nothing unexpected or worrisome.

This gun is on its second locking block. With the first one replaced around the 20k round mark.

As for routine maintenance: the recoil spring is replaced every 3k rounds. I replaced the first trigger return spring at the proscribed 5k round mark. Since then I've let it ride, just to see how far it will go. As of now, the current TRS has over 30k pulls during live fire and at least that many in dry fire. I don't think the TRS is an issue anymore. The original extractor was replaced at the 25k round mark. I recently replaced the original trigger bar with a Langdon unit. I didn't bother photographing the original part since there's no unusual or even significant wear on it. Other than that, the gun gets cleaned every few thousand rounds and lubed on a routine basis. I don't baby this particular 92, far from it.

I wish I had something dramatic to report, but I don't. The 92 is a very solid service weapon, as long as it's properly maintained and that doesn't take that much effort. In fact, it's one of the most reliable handguns I've ever used. The uninitiated and the ignorant will parrot the old urban myths about the 92 being fragile and unreliable. My experience has shown this to be patently false.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-20-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Vending Machine Operator
    Outstanding. It looks really good for that round count, good sign of a well-maintained pistol.

I tend to agree that most reputable designs - the 92 included - function very well when maintained like they're supposed to be.

As a side note, a USAF friend brought me on base for lunch today and I saw the security gate person still carrying an M9. Made me sad and nostalgic that it's just a matter of time before there's an M18 in there. I'll always love the 92.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Outstanding. It looks really good for that round count, good sign of a well-maintained pistol.

I tend to agree that most reputable designs - the 92 included - function very well when maintained like they're supposed to be.

As a side note, a USAF friend brought me on base for lunch today and I saw the security gate person still carrying an M9. Made me sad and nostalgic that it's just a matter of time before there's an M18 in there. I'll always love the 92.
    I'll admit, I was a 92 basher for many years. I was in servitude to Uncle Sugar when it replaced the 1911. Being a disciple of God's Gun at the time, I was sure it was the end of western civilization. About six years ago, father time started to catch up to me with arthritis which caused me to replace the gun that Jesus shoots. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought it would be a Beretta 92. In the end, I had to eat some crow on that. Now, I'd willingly take a 92 anywhere and expect it to do anything a handgun needs to do.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-20-2019 at 03:26 PM.

That is the hottest Beretta 92 I’ve seen in a long time.

Site Supporter
    What grips are those?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    What grips are those?
    Made by Stoner CNC.

Wow, just wow

The word "outstanding" doesn't do you or that Beretta justice. Quite an accomplishment, the both of you! What lubricant did/do you use?

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    The word "outstanding" doesn't do you or that Beretta justice. Quite an accomplishment, the both of you! What lubricant did/do you use?
    Extra curious about the answer to this as well, since I use Mil-Tech TW25B grease on all my Berettas and am curious about long term.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I use the stuff in a little needle bottle, that was on the shelf the last time I needed lubricant, can't remember the name. I know that isn't what folks want to hear, but lubricants are one of the most over discussed things in the firearms world. If I need grease I dip into the can of Mobile One synthetic I bought years ago. I stopped using grease on handguns several years back, now it's just oil and whatever's on the shelf at the time.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-20-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks. Don't need a lube war for sure.

User Tag List