Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger blackhawk Old model v New model

Ruger blackhawk Old model v New model

I had a Ruger BH back around 1972. Yeah, I know, that was a long time ago but I've been thinking about buying another one. I've since focused on S&W revolvers since that time so I know very little about anything Ruger except a few of their their rifles.

This BH I had was obviously an old model. It was 357 with a 5'' barrel IIRC. My question, what's the difference between the new model and the old one. Is it just a transfer bar under hammer or are there any other things I should know about the two. I usually just buy older S&W's because of the quality issues but not sure that applies to the BH's.

I would buy an old model if there is some good reason, I really don't have a preference. Maybe somebody could break it down for me. Not sure of the cartridge yet but I'm kicking around 357, 32 or possibly 30 carbine as I reload for those already. I have a 45 revolver already so won't be looking at that cartridge.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-19-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

It can get weird pretty quick. Old old is pre ‘73, no transfer bar. I personally don’t see any reason to seek one out as a using gun, since the transfer bar allows for a full payload of six in relative safety. Collectors like ‘em, and they make a cool sound when cocking (my single six is an unmolested ‘56; the sound it makes as the hammer thumbs back is mesmerizing).

When the vaquero came out, it was on the "new model" blackhawk transfer bar frame—which was/is larger than the original .357 frame, to standardize one frame for both .357 and .44mag. But folks liked the smaller frame that fit in colt SAA holsters, so Ruger released the "new vaquero" on the smaller "old blackhawk" frame. Confused yet? Both the new vaq and the old blackhawks were popular enough and enjoyed so many vocal adherents to the smaller frame that they shared that Ruger re-released the Blackhawk in the old frame size for their 50th anniversary .357. That in turn proved likeable enough that .44special and .45 Colt and .45LC/.45acp versions soon followed. Thankfully, these are just known as "flattops" and are new models built on the smaller "old" BH frame—which fits the same holsters as the "new" vaquero and Colts.

I have two of those: the 50th A .357, and a .44 special. I will soon have a .45 on the old "new" frame, not because I prefer the size for the chambering (I don’t) but because I like the sights.

Hope that helps.

If I was buying a BH from scratch, I’d start with the 4 5/8" .357 "flattop" on the smaller/original frame. No downside to that gun. JMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 10-19-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    By all means purchase a flat top described in a post above. Unless the old model revolvers had an empty under the hammer, they were not safe. With one of these, if the shooter cocked the hammer, decided not to shoot, he then had to let the hammer down on a live round. The safety position for the hammer was a notch, nothing else. When it broke from a jar or hit on the hammer, the hammer fell, and bang. One of my students, a kid, died in front of his mother when his Ruger hit against a flash light on his truck seat. A friend was shot in the leg when a holstered Blackhawk fired when the hammer hung on a barbed strand as he crossed a fence. The force against the hammer broke the safety notch.

Get a New Model with the Iver Johnson "Hammer the Hammer" transfer bar allowing safe carry with six. Or seven, or ten.
    An Old Model only safely carried with an empty chamber under the hammer is best left to traditionalists who are in the fixed habit of loading them properly.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Is Ruger still offering the free upgrade to the transfer bar safety system? If so, take advantage of it. There is no advantage in not having it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    One of my students, a kid, died in front of his mother when his Ruger hit against a flash light on his truck seat. A friend was shot in the leg when a holstered Blackhawk fired when the hammer hung on a barbed strand as he crossed a fence. The force against the hammer broke the safety notch.
    Judas Priest on a pogo stick, those tales are terrible.

But, yeah, this is why my single-six is a range-only piece.

I’m telling you all: the ne plus ultra is the medium-frame flattop BH, as currently produced. Pick a caliber, and rock on.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    And if one chooses a Vaquero version, I suggest the lighter weight New Vaquero model. Besides being lighter, it is less bulky.

I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I find the new flattops to feel much better in the hand than the new blackhawks. My father has an old three screw blackhawk but I haven’t shot it for over 40 years.

Site Supporter
    To clarify why I like the new flat tops. The new flat tops and new vaqueros use the new midsize frame and have a steel grip frame. It is my understanding that the new flat top super Blackhawk .44 mag uses the old large frame size with the midsize grip. I haven’t seen a new flat top .44 mag in a while and I never got a chance to compare them size by side.
    Here are my flat tops. From the top down-
    -.44 special
    -.357/9mm convertible
    -.357 magnum
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]43822[
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Poconnor; 10-20-2019 at 09:59 AM.

User Tag List