Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapo Guzman son arrested, then freed...

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Because if they did, their lives, the lives if their family right down to the family tree roots and possibly the lives of anyone they ever sent a Christmas card to would be forfeit. And not in a quick and painless way either.

If those cops don’t start dying soon, that speaks volumes to the negotiating power of whoever stumbled into this guy.
    Yeah I guess that’s probably true, at least on an individual level. It’s hard for me to comprehend that in a domestic LE sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post

But, to suggest that they just kill this creep and run.....
    This is extremely naive in the worst, “ugly American” sort of way.

The “war on drugs” is not a euphemism down there. I would not judge them at all.

Site Supporter
    I talked to a an off duty Mexico City cop earlier this year. He and I were about the same age and had about the same amount of time as cops.

We have it damn good here compared to those guys. Obviously talking about the honest ones.

Those guys can't even carry off duty.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is extremely naive in the worst, “ugly American” sort of way.

The “war on drugs” is not a euphemism down there. I would not judge them at all.
    I guess I'm naive and "ugly American" as well when it comes to summarily executing prisoners, even prisoners of war as well, then.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    They just killed 13 or 14 officers down in Michoacan within the last week. Mexico has deep cultural problems that even honest LE cannot solve.

My love for Mexico is deep, and I have a special affection/connection to the country. If it were less corrupt and safer, I would live there. Reality is something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    They have brought in a reasonable amount of .50bmg rifles from the US. While there are other routes for the cartels to get guns, they do indeed get quite a few from us since we’re close, the guns are cheap and easy to get and they have established smuggling operations in place on the border. I’ve also noticed that in photos and videos from down there AR’s seem to be a lot more common/popular with the narcos than they were 10 or so years ago.

I don’t think Mexico’s problems are justification for more gun control in America, but to act like they don’t source weapons sold here is in fact ignoring facts. Check out some of Ed Calderon’s stuff from Ed’s Manifesto.
    I don't think you got my context. I keep hearing "gun show loophole" from the antis even though the numbers come in like 0.8% of firearms used by criminals are obtained that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I guess I'm naive and "ugly American" as well when it comes to summarily executing prisoners, even prisoners of war as well, then.
    "Policing is regional".

Just because something is illegal or culturally inappropriate in the US does not make it so to the rest of the world, especially when you're looking at a system that cannot effectively safeguard their prisoners.

It might make a difference on whether I can approve LE/security training and material support, but I wouldn't personally judge them.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This is totally unsurprising to me, and why I won’t visit Mexico anymore. I have friends who like the cheap resorts and nice weather. Hard pass. I’ll pay extra not to have to vacation in a country run by drug cartels.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    "Policing is regional".

Just because something is illegal or culturally inappropriate in the US does not make it so to the rest of the world, especially when you're looking at a system that cannot effectively safeguard their prisoners.

It might make a difference on whether I can approve LE/security training and material support, but I wouldn't personally judge them.
    Part of why I'm "America first" is I firmly believe not all cultures and value systems are equal and ours is worth protecting and spreading. It's perfectly acceptable to sell children as "wives" in some parts of the world, too. That doesn't make it something *I* need to find acceptable.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Part of why I'm "America first" is I firmly believe not all cultures and value systems are equal and ours is worth protecting and spreading. It's perfectly acceptable to sell children as "wives" in some parts of the world, too. That doesn't make it something *I* need to find acceptable.
    Sure, I get that. I don't find it morally reprehensible for a government to do kill missions on narco-terrorists, though. I don't think it was wrong to summarily execute Bin Laden, nor would I personally feel a wrong was committed if they killed this dude or other leadership in the cartels instead of taking them prisoner only having just assured their certain death unless they release the prisoner. Were the cops in Dallas wrong to blow up a criminal instead of assuredly wasting their lives to apprehend him? Obviously not. There's no difference in the Grand scheme here....if those cops were to try and maintain custody of that prisoner it would have been guaranteed death, so they opted to simply kill him instead (as is articulable under the US Constitution).

I also think we are afforded many luxuries in our LE system in the USA that are not relevant to some other countries. In the end, the government's interest in maintaining law and order outweighs that person's interests.

FWIW, we also have provisions in the US Constitution to allow the summary execution of prisoners. There's a time and place for it, and applying the standards of domestic policing in the USA to a place like Mexico is irrational, IMO.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List