Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapo Guzman son arrested, then freed...

Chapo Guzman's son arrested, then freed...

Chaotic scenes of violence paralyzed the streets of Culiacán Thursday. A son of notorious drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman was briefly apprehended (apparently found by chance during a routine patrol) then later released. Before he was let go police clashed with heavily-armed members of the Sinaloa drug cartel. Officials say they arrested Ovidio Guzmán López, who is among the most wanted men in Mexico, but the onslaught was so fierce security forces were forced to let Guzmán go.

Last edited by TiroFijo; 10-18-2019 at 09:51 AM.

I’m a little surprised they didn’t just kill him and then run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

If they were serious they would have but dead men don’t pay ransom.

The Mexican military can bring the thunder when they want to. I am highly suspicious of this. I suspect that the fighting scene in the video is merely part of extended negotiations for someone to get paid.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-18-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Probably his capture was unexpected, and not by true SF... normal police would be scared to death of the Sinaloa cartel and its "friends" everywhere.

[sarcasm font]Any reports on the drug cartels getting their heavy weapons at US gun shows?[sarcasm font]

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    [sarcasm font]Any reports on the drug cartels getting their heavy weapons at US gun shows?[sarcasm font]
    They have brought in a reasonable amount of .50bmg rifles from the US. While there are other routes for the cartels to get guns, they do indeed get quite a few from us since we’re close, the guns are cheap and easy to get and they have established smuggling operations in place on the border. I’ve also noticed that in photos and videos from down there AR’s seem to be a lot more common/popular with the narcos than they were 10 or so years ago.

I don’t think Mexico’s problems are justification for more gun control in America, but to act like they don’t source weapons sold here is in fact ignoring facts. Check out some of Ed Calderon’s stuff from Ed’s Manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Because if they did, their lives, the lives if their family right down to the family tree roots and possibly the lives of anyone they ever sent a Christmas card to would be forfeit. And not in a quick and painless way either.

If those cops don’t start dying soon, that speaks volumes to the negotiating power of whoever stumbled into this guy.

From the outside, it looks like Mexico's government actually cannot and does not govern the country. While many of us realize the power of the cartels, the fact that the government captured and then released within twenty-four hours a wanted criminal due to concerns, both realized and potential, just looks bad. Every person who was wavering about resisting the influence of the cartels just got a nice datum to consider. And lots of those people are not in Mexico -- and some are in the US government.

We just saw a de facto coup. The mantra "We do not negotiate with terrorists" exists for a reason.

Banned
    I don't think there is any question the Mexican government does not govern Mexico. They probably have as many police on the take as not.

But, to suggest that they just kill this creep and run.....

Would not matter, someone else will pop up the next day and take his place. They really don't want to get this under control because it is probably a major source of income for the country.

It's never going to get better, only will continue to get worse.

[sarcasm] Maybe the Mexican police were de-escalating? [/sarcasm]

User Tag List