Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you get the chance.... Go ahead and pass on this.

I’m sorry to hear what happened. You did what you had to do while providing dignity to your dog and minimizing as much trauma as you could to your family. I can’t think of anything you could have done differently. I’ll second the poster above who said to do what you can to make sure your wife doesn’t blame herself.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Thank you all for the kind words

The truth is I think we loved this animal as much as well adjusted adults could love animal.

But life changes when you have kids. All but one of my kids were younger than this dog. For some reason they all loved him when they could barely crawl. But by the time they got older - he was getting really older and wasn’t a “kid” animal any more.

He was treated, fed and cared for well....but I can’t help but realize how much his life must have changed once all our time and affection went to babies.

Unfortunately, we'll have the same hurt in a couple years. Losing a good dog is hard on the whole family. I hope your wife is okay.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 10-18-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Thoughts with you and your family. Tough business indeed.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Critters are family and losing one is gut wrenching in the best of circumstances. Obviously, you did the only reasonable thing anyone could do, and I hope your wife doesn't assume responsibility for what happened. Don't let how it ended overshadow the fact that y'all rescued him in the first place and gave him a good life.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It sucks, not just for the attachment to the animal but the losing of the link to the past the animal is part and parcel of. There are just so many memories attached to a long lived pet, especially one with connections to family.

My condolences.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    That is altogether dreadful, and you did right by him.
    Agree. I backed over a family dog a little over 40 years ago. No access to a suppressed 22, so I took her to the vet, had her put down, and buried her.

I still feel shitty about it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

What everyone else said.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Your solution was less painful for the pup than a vet's shot. Plus he was spared the pain and anxiety of being carried in a vehicle to a vet clinic. Good job.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My condolences. You did the best that you could for your friend.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List