Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you get the chance.... Go ahead and pass on this.

If you get the chance.... Go ahead and pass on this.

Back in the summer, father's day in fact, we had the car packed up to to grandma's house. I needed to fix her mower.

So, 8 month pregnant wife, kids from 4-7, tools, gear, loaded up, 1 1/2 hour drive pending....lets roll.

Wife backs up and we hear the dreaded yelp. I step out knowing what I'm about to see.

The family dog, a 17 year old dachshund in failing health, had scootered outside when we didn't realize and the wife has backed over him.

His condition was not survivable. I told her to pull forward and stay in the car.

Quick into the house to retrieve a suppressed .22.... because I needed him to look relatively normal in spite of what was about to take place... quiet shot and it was done.

Then I dug a hole for him on the hill not far from the house. I picked him up and carried him to the spot and laid him on his good side so the family could say goodbye without much visual trauma. Thankfully neither the car nor the bullet caused much externally notable damage.

They said their peace. I apologized to him for not providing a better last day, and placed him in the ground.

I've taken a lot of flak here in the past for not being gushingly pro pet.... in truth that was not the issue. Rather I knew not too far along this day would come and now it has.

I used to repo cars for banks and this dog, an abandoned 11 week old puppy, came from one of my first successful visits. I gave the dog to my girlfriend at the time - now wife - and he was the first thing we had together. Despite a rocky path to where we are now... He was a reminder of how much time we had spent trying to be who we now are.

So if you get the chance to run over, shoot and bury a dog you've had for most of your adult life... go ahead and pass.

Name:  grave.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  84.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Thoughts are with you.

You handled your responsibility to give it a good life and limit its pain at the end and that's no small thing.

I ran over a neighbors dog on the road once and had to tell the family and it was truly terrible.

Sorry, Duke. Losing a pet sucks.
    Last edited by MGW; 10-17-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Sorry Duke, losing a pet sucks. Good on you for doing what you could to let the family say goodbye.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Prayers for you and your family.

I fear that I am going to be in a similar boat soon as our dog is 15 and in her last days.

Really not looking forward to it.

Regards.

Handled with dignity. He’d have liked that.

Letting go is seldom easy or painless, but quite often there are positive things that come from letting go of just about anything.

Sounds to me like you handled a horrible situation in a very sensitive and responsible fashion. I don’t envy you for having that particular life experience at all, but hope I perform as admirably as you did should it arise.

My thoughts are with you your wife and kids.

@Duke
    "I apologized to him for not providing a better last day"

Of all the things you could have done or said in that chaotic moment,.... yeah.
    Good Man.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    @Duke
    "I apologized to him for not providing a better last day"

Of all the things you could have done or said in that chaotic moment,.... yeah.
    Good Man.
    Exactly.

User Tag List