Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you sell your Benelli M4??

Site Supporter
    If it gets no use and your selling it in favor of something that will I'd do it.

This thread is not helping my case of the wantsies for an M4. Luckily (?) got some OT looming on the horizon.

Site Supporter
    I may have sold more personal guns than others here. Many of these I later regretted selling. In these cases, I discovered that I had changed my mind about what I thought that I wanted to do. I found out that replacing what I had sold became difficult because demand and inflation both worked against me. Or because I just had to have a new toy, I accepted less money than the item was worth. In some cases I realized that after the sale I had neither the money nor the gun. The B M4 is a hard firearm to replace. Keep it.
    Last edited by willie; 10-17-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Likewise, I've come up with a general rule of thumb: trade/sell the cheap guns, but keep the quality ones.

By cheap guns, I mean the various sub-tier, inexpensive models by the lower end manufacturers that you got because reasons. Stuff that you thought was cool looking like those GSG 9mm Schmeissers, or a Kel-Tec folding carbine, or some brand new plastic SFA Glock Killa- whatever. Those you can freely buy, shoot until the itch wears off, then dump on some sucker.

By quality guns, I mean well regarded models by high end makers. S&W K Frames, Beretta 92's, older Glock 9mms, and so on. Best to hang on to them, as you will regret selling them.

Now, today's market brings us lots of guns that are kind of in the middle- various flavors of .40 police trade ins, or panic bought extra AR's. While still a quality product, one can probably sell or trade them off without too much heartbreak.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I don't know enough to answer definitively, but if the magazine extension is artifically neutered and runs you afoul of 922 opportunity clauses, I'd go with something else.

Site Supporter
    I got a decked out 870 I will be selling soon. I don’t shoot it, I got AR’s for defense and field shotguns for critters.

I ran it and kept short stroking, my muscle memory with it is gone and I should just work on rifle skills.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I got a decked out 870 I will be selling soon. I don’t shoot it, I got AR’s for defense and field shotguns for critters.

I ran it and kept short stroking, my muscle memory with it is gone and I should just work on rifle skills.
    Or get a 1301.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash41984 View Post
    but I have zero training with it, and really don’t have the desire to obtain any.
    If you change your mind on that, Sentinel Concepts (Steve Fisher) is a solid shotgun instructor based in MI. I don't see any upcoming classes tho.

MDFI does have a Foundational Shotgun class coming up in May 2020 in Port Huron.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Or get a 1301.
    I think a semi auto would be the shit to have, one day I’ll build back up. Young family, this fire season was crazy slow, and I my aging shoulders could use a wood splitter. That would get way more use then the 870.

You’ll see a Grizzly Custom 870, an X300u-b, and a unfired Glock 19x on PF for sale soon. PM me if anyone wants to be first in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash41984 View Post
    I'm gonna preface this with, I hate selling guns. Loathe to part with them, even the ones I can't shoot worth a damn. That said, I'm trying to fund some 1911 projects in the near future and that gets expensive. I have a Benelli M4 that I have shot on only one occasion in the last 5 years. I bought it years ago when I was in college for no real purpose other than its a bad mofo. It stays locked up in the floor safe in my basement, which is too far away for me to say it serves a home defense role and I've never taken it hunting. It's quite literally a safe queen dust collector with no sentimental value, other than it's my last shotgun and it says Benelli.

I've got this decked out with an OEM C-Stock, Sidearmor top rail with removable 6 shell side saddle, AVA Tactical light mount with a 500 lumen Surefire E2D Defender Ultra, and a 4moa Aimpoint T1 sitting in a Larue mount. It's sweet as all get out, but it seems a shame for it just to sit there.

Would you part with this guy to fund other gun projects, assuming that the prospective projects would actually get used? If so, what do you think a fair price would be given all of the accessories?
    Well, much as I love 1911 pistols, I would not sell a Benelli to fund a 1911. I did sell a Benelli M1 Super 90, in the Nineties, because its stock design was so very brutal, and I had just broken the sight adjustment screws, during a “Select Slug” certification class at the PD range. I reverted to 870 pump guns, and then returned to Benelli after I learned about the Comfort-Tech stock. (I wish I had learned about the Comfort-Teck Stock years earlier!) I now have two M2 Benellis; my PD employer never approved the M4. An M4 is high on my shopping list, now that I am retired.

Having said that, I see a shotgun as a vital, go-to home defense weapon, and a darn good go-to defensive weapon away from the home. (I do not live in wide-open spaces; SE Texas is either crowded, vegetated, or both.) My other long guns are nice to have, but, are really just glorified collectibles and toys. Yours Benelli M4 appears to be a collectible, and, well, ya can’t take it with you, when your are buried.

If you are not really a shotgunner, well, perhaps your Benelli M4 should help fund something you will use. I say this in the way that I say I am not really a rifleman. My rifles are nice to have, but I could live the rest of my life without firing a rifle again, whereas I consider my Benellis, and my handguns, to be very important.

Before giving-up your Benelli, however, consider whether the excessive adornments are the reason you never use it. The instant I hang a side-saddle on a shotgun, for example, it becomes a clumsy thing, which I will not be there, when I need it. Weight is OK, within reason, but weight hanging from one side is not so good. I do not hang a spare mag holder on the side of a 1911, and I do not hang side-saddles on my shotguns. (I have no quarrel with a side-saddle on a home-defense shotgun, but I would not not want to be mobile, on my feet, with such an unbalanced load, and a double/triple-wide weapon is difficult to cache/stash discreetly.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-18-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List