Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you sell your Benelli M4??

Would you sell your Benelli M4??

I'm gonna preface this with, I hate selling guns. Loathe to part with them, even the ones I can't shoot worth a damn. That said, I'm trying to fund some 1911 projects in the near future and that gets expensive. I have a Benelli M4 that I have shot on only one occasion in the last 5 years. I bought it years ago when I was in college for no real purpose other than its a bad mofo. It stays locked up in the floor safe in my basement, which is too far away for me to say it serves a home defense role and I've never taken it hunting. It's quite literally a safe queen dust collector with no sentimental value, other than it's my last shotgun and it says Benelli.

I've got this decked out with an OEM C-Stock, Sidearmor top rail with removable 6 shell side saddle, AVA Tactical light mount with a 500 lumen Surefire E2D Defender Ultra, and a 4moa Aimpoint T1 sitting in a Larue mount. It's sweet as all get out, but it seems a shame for it just to sit there.

Would you part with this guy to fund other gun projects, assuming that the prospective projects would actually get used? If so, what do you think a fair price would be given all of the accessories?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    If you have other defensive shotguns around and just don't shoot this one then yeah I'd get rid of it. That said if it's your only defensive shotgun, may be worth keeping around. I don't shoot my 12Gas nearly as often as I should, but I have a pair of 870s set up the way I like that I don't think I'd part with. Certainly not in the market for more shotguns in the near future, though.

I figure if you don't think you'll ever put it into a more serious defense role or think about using it any other capacity, then yeah the money would be better put to other uses that you do want.

Although personally I don't know why you wouldn't want it for a more active HD role. I've decided I'm going to get an M4 for my HD shotgun. I'm just not financially there just yet or I'd probably throw an offer your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I figure if you don't think you'll ever put it into a more serious defense role or think about using it any other capacity, then yeah the money would be better put to other uses that you do want.

Although personally I don't know why you wouldn't want it for a more active HD role. I've decided I'm going to get an M4 for my HD shotgun. I'm just not financially there just yet or I'd probably throw an offer your way.
    It may as well be in a glass case marked “break in case of boogaloo”. I know it’s touted as a premier combat shotgun, but I have zero training with it, and really don’t have the desire to obtain any. If something more serious than a pistol is required for a HD situation, I’m way more proficient with an AR. I’ve kept it around to show off.

I was issued an M4. I never would have given it up willingly.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Crash41984 View Post
    It may as well be in a glass case marked “break in case of boogaloo”. I know it’s touted as a premier combat shotgun, but I have zero training with it, and really don’t have the desire to obtain any. If something more serious than a pistol is required for a HD situation, I’m way more proficient with an AR. I’ve kept it around to show off.
    Sounds like you've answered your own question.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Crash41984 View Post
    Well, there's your answer right there.

I have a general rule on guns, namely the "replace-ability" rule. To whit - if it's a Glock, and I don't shoot or carry it, I sell it if I can. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a stocking GLOCK dealer, so, if I miss it later, I can replace it. Conversely, my P7M8 (ALL BOW DOWN!), which comes out of the safe once every five years or so, will be passed on as an heirloom to one of my kids eventually. Sure, I could sell it and make a KILLING compared to what I bought it for, but I could never replace it without selling a kidney.

The M4 will be hard to replace, but, honestly, I do darned near nothing with shotguns either, and have been looking at the M2 Tactical I've got recently and wondering why I still own it. I bought it in 2012, and, in the intervening seven years, have shot it exactly ONCE. I'm not really a shot gunner, and never have been.

So, if you need the money for something you really WANT and will use, go ahead and unload that thang. What's it worth? I use Gunbroker as a guide, and look for items that have SOLD (versus the insane asking prices some folks list). If there's a "penny auction" (no Reserve) for something that's at or near closing, it gives you a pretty reasonable idea of what current market value is. Of course, if you're thinking of taking it to a LGS, expect to get half of what "market" value might be.

No effing way

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've been getting rid of surplus lately, and felt really good about all of it, which motivates me to do even more.

That said, I wouldn't get rid of one good shotgun that's set up. You never know when you or your circumstances might change.

On the other hand, what constitutes being set up may change before it becomes relevant to you again, and the M4 may not be the hot ticket forever. A really nice 1301 in late 2019 means something pretty different than it did five years ago.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I wouldn't sell mine, however I shoot mine.

I've bought and sold dozens and dozens of guns over the years. If I don't shoot it it should probably go.

I don't collect guns. But some people do.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 10-17-2019 at 04:57 PM.

User Tag List