Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Salomons

For a trail runner my go-to is the Nike Terra Kiger. It's a fantastic low drop and versatile shoe. Lots of room in the toe box, very locked down fit, and seemingly great grip on all of my typical N GA terrain. Lots of flexibility but the sole is also still stiff enough for rucking with 40-50 lbs. More than enough cushion for 10-15 mile runs.

I also like Altras but there always seems to be a "but" for every model. Either too loose, too soft, too fragile, etc.

Salomons have always been too narrow for me. I have flat feet, wide toes, and always use neutral shoes with a 0 or minimal drop.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    $180 on Amazon, do you have an "impoverished forum owner" recommendation or is it #GoBePoorSomewhereElse
    Sent you a PM.

Regarding cost in general, for the benefit of all... I understand economic realities and limitations, but don't mess with your feet. Buy the highest quality footgear you can afford, purpose built for the activity and terrain you're engaged in. Get a consult with a podiatrist and trainer. Especially if you are active. Keep up on your foot health. And don't forget your socks, socks matter more than most realize. Use socks made for what you're doing. I'm a huge fan of Darn Tough, https://darntough.com/.
    Last edited by ST911; 10-17-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Forgot to mention, I want light and cool footwear that's easy to don and take off.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I also like Altras but there always seems to be a "but" for every model. Either too loose, too soft, too fragile, etc.
    The Altras really feel fantastic, so incredibly lightweight, but yes – they are fragile.

Site Supporter
    They're borderline too narrow for my fat feet. I have a pair of XA forces from work, and they're good for 4-6 hours at best before they have to come off for the day.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Forgot to mention, I want light and cool footwear that's easy to don and take off.
    God yes, I’m done with Toms for casual wear after their anti-gun stance but I’d like a shoe like that with little drop, light unlike Olukai and Vans that feel clunky and slip on with an option to tighten up for both casual and run and gun situations. The pain of Merrels I tried was meh. Inov8 has treated me well in the past but they discountinued and then reinvented one of their shoes. I’ll look again at their site but it would be nice to have those checkboxes marked.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Forgot to mention, I want light and cool footwear that's easy to take off.
    Doff

Site Supporter

My experience

I've had 4 pairs. They are extremely comfortable, fit my narrowish feet well, and require little break- in. On the other hand, 2 pairs developed holes/tears in the uppers above the ball of the foot near the lace eyelets. This is where the shoe flexes. Still wearing pairs 3 and 4. Best, ELN.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Doff
    D'oh.
    #RESIST

My New Balance shoes have been falling apart. I want something light or maybe at most, a mid height shoe. Tell me about sizing, too.
    New Balance fits me really well. I have a narrow heel and wide forefoot. Kinda like flippers. Finding shoes that fit is a struggle.

I don't know exactly what you are looking for but I really like these Merrell Men's Agility Synthesis Flex Sneaker They're my favorite shoes to wear of any kind. I hiked around the mountains in Colorado with them on, all-day range sessions, wore them to work, etc. I've had my current pair for 3 years now. They have held up really, really well. I've been waiting around for the price to drop on them but I'm going to have to give in and just buy another pair at full price. Sizing for me is pretty close to NB. They might run a tad wider than a NB D width.

If I have one complaint the low tops allow small rocks to get inside my shoes when walking up and down steep terrain. But any low top shoe will probably do that.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List