Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Salomons

Salomons

My New Balance shoes have been falling apart. I want something light or maybe at most, a mid height shoe. Tell me about sizing, too.
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    New Balance: US or China?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My New Balance shoes have been falling apart. I want something light or maybe at most, a mid height shoe. Tell me about sizing, too.
    Salomons run true to size in length, but can be a little snug in width depending on the model. I have a pair of these https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/p...html#1191=9554
    and like them way better than Merrells or Keens. I have a wide foot and a 13 wide in the XA Pro fit perfect.

Site Supporter
    I've had a couple of pair of Salomons and generally like them. The last pair took a couple of months to really feel comfortable, but after that point they were perfect.

The Vasque shoes I've had always feel great from the first time I put them on. However the sole design in some of their sneakers is faulty. I've returned three pair under warranty, which really just means that I was able to go a long go time without spending money on shoes. I'll probably go with Vasque again next time.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pangloss; 10-16-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Executive summary-I like the brand very much. It is also quite popular with in the MIL/LEO community as a shoe brand which does a nice job of hitting the intersections of lightness/durability/traction/fit/with little to no no break in time.

I have a narrow to medium foot. 13. I have worn XD Pro Mid Tops Goretex as my go to fall/winter/spring BSA camping/hiking/gun range shoe with great success since 2013. I have a pair of low top non Goretex from the same time frame as well for when then temps are 65+. Both are still more than serviceable.

I have a 2018 XD Pro 3D (Non Goretex) that seem to run a bit narrower than from years past. 2 trips to NYC with 10 mile plus days and the occasion wear (recall my other two pair are still fine) with no complaints at all.

I did Philmont in 2014 ( 10 days on trail 100 + miles with some train up miles before at home) in a pair of Mid Top Merrell Ventilators (Non Goretex) only because Salomon did not make a mid top/non Goretex at the time.

Buy with confidence presuming a good fit.

NOTE-GJM is a hiker/shooter/outdoorsman of note and may weigh in. At one point he was a fan but may have moved on to a brand called Salewa.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    New Balance: US or China?
    I’ve no idea, the labels have disappeared.
    #RESIST

On my first pair...they are the XA pro 3Ds. Marketed as a low but in look they are kind of halfway between a low and a mid. I love the speed lace system. I wish it were present on more models. I wear them all day at work, and often in my off time as well. Just too easy to slip on and go. Even if I throw them on and don't lace them up, they work for just kicking around.

They took 8 or so weeks to truly break in. Wore them on a short, brutal ruck when I first got them. Probably a little premature but I think helped break in. Also wore them for like 16 hours a day during a 2 week shooting package. I'm a big fan. So far no signs of breaking down. I've had them for going on 4 months. I would say they run true to size, maybe slightly small....I'm wearing 12s, standard width. My boot size can run anywhere from 10.5/11 in Altamas and most military boots to 11.5/12 in Merrell, New Balance, etc.

What I really like is that they cover so much ground....casual puttering shoe to pretty serious work boot. My civilian job involves a fair amount of stacking pelican cases, crates, forklift work, etc. I have steel toe Redwings but I've become so spoiled by these that I just wear them in lieu of steel toes. Keep in mind that I wear 5.11 Stryke pants like 90% of the time, just cause I'm not that cool and don't care, but these go well with jeans for a semi-incognito vibe as well. All black Chucks used to be my go to for that but these have edged them out as well.
    Last edited by UniSol; 10-16-2019 at 03:45 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    US costs 2-3x as much, so you’d probably know if they were US. Seems people who buy the US New Balance don’t do so on accident.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    My wife and I use them for trail running so have used the speed cross series which are probably too aggressive for what you want.

Did a 5k run and gun obstacle course in them and fell in love. Definitely light, strong, and will shape to your foot well. Not cheap.

A couple years back Cabela's web was selling Salomon Quest boots for about $120 delivered. They were regularly $229 so I got a pair to try since I was disappointed with Merrell. I liked them so much that I ordered a second pair under the same sale.

Fast forward a year and I'm wearing the Salomons in some real winter slop and I feel some wet inside the Gortex. I called Salomon. They asked me to email them a pictures of the tag in the boots, a picture of the soles and a copy of my receipt which I had in my email. Shortly afterward a received a $229 credit for the boots that cost me $120. I promptly used the credit to order another set of Quest boots and shipping was included, Zero cost out of pocket. A+ customer service.

Somewhere around Spring this year Botach was blowing out Salomon Quest (Forces Burro Brown) for about $90 shipped. I ordered 2 pairs, one for me and one for my son. I wanted these because they were the model without Gortex and I like them for hot weather hiking.

User Tag List