Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol Custom Browning Hi-Power

Super sweet HP. I'll always enjoy seeing pics of custom HPs. I've had several and they are really a fun (and super accurate) gun to shoot. I had a SW 3914 worked over by Karl some 20+? years ago and he was great to deal with and really did an amazing job. Nice guy.

Very nice. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by fpnunes View Post
    ...worked over by Karl some 20+? years ago and he was great to deal with and really did an amazing job. Nice guy.
    Karl doesn't get much press nowadays. I was glad to find that he's still working.

Looks perfect

Site Supporter
    Karl's a great dude and a fellow Vermonter. Love that HP and I'll bet you got a good story or two from Karl.
    Last edited by newt; 10-18-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Karl Sokol Custom Browning Hi-Power

That will be a great pistol; hope to see it looking mostly worn out in about a year.

I’m very interested in the positive thumb safety engagement. My Mars is good. My C&S was not as good.
    Last edited by JAD; 10-18-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    That will be a great pistol; hope to see it looking mostly worn out in about a year.

I’m very interested in the positive thumb safety engagement. My Mars is good. My C&S was not as good.

I'm actually playing with the idea of taking it to a Gabe White class at the end of this month. That might be an interesting way to break it in and get a feel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Looks perfect
    Yes. Pretty close. Probably the only thing it might need would be an ambi safety. Maybe some tritium sights.

Williams and Sokol are short-list Hi-Power custom mastersmiths; very cool you have examples of both. Would be great to hear a compare-and-contrast assessment of their approaches to the HP from a shooter's perspective...

ETA: "Thumb Safety Mod for Positive Engagement" What's this?
    Last edited by Wingate's Hairbrush; 10-20-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Williams and Sokol are short-list...mastersmiths...Would be great to hear a compare-and-contrast assessment...
    Well, the Williams pistol is more of a fit and finish. The only work done was to flatten the feed ramp and fit Novak sights. The Sokol gun is more or less a complete build. Probably the only other thing I could have done to the Sokol gun would have been a match fit barrel. That's excluding the possible options of tritium sights and maybe an ambi safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    "Thumb Safety Mod for Positive Engagement" What's this?
    The safety on this pistol had a quite indistinct feel when moving the safety on and off. I don't know yet what Karl did to make it more positive. Did he deepen the dimples in the frame or add more of a point to the detent? Maybe a little of both.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List