Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol Custom Browning Hi-Power

Karl Sokol Custom Browning Hi-Power

As probably quite a few of you have already seen, I have another thread going about a FEG Hi-Power that was lightly customized by Don Williams/The Action Works. As things progressed in that thread, the idea came up of sending another gun off for customization.

So about five months ago I sent a 1988 vintage Hi-Power to Karl Sokol for some work. Yesterday I received an email telling me the work was complete. After a bit of back and forth, Mr. Sokol sent along a couple pics to appease me while I wait for him to receive final payment and return the pistol.

The pistol in question was a rather unremarkable MKII "commercial" pistol. Forged frame and active firing pin block. But rather than the usual MKII matte finish, ambi safety and plastic grips, this pistol was gloss blue with wood grips, small sights and safety. Overall condition was okay but nothing spectacular. There were some pretty good spots of holster wear and (unnoticed at time of purchase) one of the grip screws was cross-threaded.

Here's a list of the work requested:

Basic BHP Package:http://chestnutmountainsports.net/cmspackages.htm
    Additions:
    Luster Blue
    Gold Bead Front Sight
    Custom Extended Thumb Safety
    Thumb Safety Mod for Positive Engagement
    Repair Cross-Thread Grip Screw Hole
    Glass Bed Navidrex Grips to Frame

Teaser pics sent by Mr. Sokol:

A couple more. Note mag well beveling:

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 10-16-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Looks terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Looks terrific!
    Thanks. Yeah, it does look pretty solid.

I'll update with more pics and a range report as soon as I'm able.

Congrats!

Karl is great. He has built close to a dozen guns for me over the past 20+ years. I am sure you will be very pleased when the mailman rings the door bell.

Karl does great work. Classy build!

My Sokol Hipower was excellent. Yours looks like it will be too.

Novak sights are Novak sights. Probably not much variance there from one shop to the next.

Things I'm liking, from pics, are the unique work to the hammer and safety. I haven't seen anyone scalloping and/or bobbing a hammer in a similar manner. Same goes for the safety. It probably would have been cheaper to buy a C&S but it wouldn't have looked as "Sokolized."

CWM11B
    I have a 1987 vintage I bought in college with the intent of "one day" sending it to Novak for his FBI HRT package, which no longer appears to be an option. I've been ready to have it done, but vacillating between Sokol, Garthwaite, and Action works for quite some time. That Sokol you have looks like what I'm after in a finished product.

The reprofiled hammer is very eye catching. What a neat pistol.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

User Tag List