Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI - Gen 3 .40 Glock stopgap refurbishing until new guns can be gotten

In all guns:
    - Recoil spring assembly
    - Magazine springs (or the magazines themselves if you can afford it)
    - Trigger return springs
    - Extractor spring

Check and replace only if needed (i.e. pay attention to):
    - Striker (look for chips)
    - Locking block
    - Locking block pins
    - Takedown lever
    - Any other small parts

Tell anyone that has a WML on their gun to get it off.

That should bring them back to close to 100% reliability.

The root of all evil with the 40 S&W Glocks revolves around the recoil spring assembly, the magazine springs, and frame flex. Broken locking blocks and/or pins comes from a warn out recoil spring and the gun beating itself to death.

Contact your local Glock factory rep. He may just give you the parts for free (they've been known to do that). Even if he does not, he can probably help you get a quote for a screaming trade-in deal for new Gen5 guns. That typically is what they have done in the past. My guess, based upon past experience, is that it will be cheaper to trade-up then try to buy new parts for old guns.

In our modern plastic gun era, most departments are factoring in a ten year replacement cycle for their issued pistols and that is what the manufacturers are catering towards.

Site Supporter
    If I read that correctly, 2,500 rounds in 15 or so years for a regular issue gun isn't that much.

BUT police agencies are often inconsistent about replacing recoil spring assemblies and magazine springs and parts like that. I broke a trigger pin on my G35 when it was only three years old.

This discussion did inspire me to order a bunch of RSAs for my own guns because I'm probably due or over due to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Contact your local Glock factory rep. He may just give you the parts for free (they've been known to do that). Even if he does not, he can probably help you get a quote for a screaming trade-in deal for new Gen5 guns. That typically is what they have done in the past. My guess, based upon past experience, is that it will be cheaper to trade-up then try to buy new parts for old guns.

In our modern plastic gun era, most departments are factoring in a ten year replacement cycle for their issued pistols and that is what the manufacturers are catering towards.
    The only thing I would add is to try to wrangle your agency and Glock into a trade for 9mm pistols.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Contact the Glock LE rep for your region and ask for options and recommendations.

2500 rounds isn't anything, even in a gen3 G23. Even if that number was 10k, you don't need an overhaul. I would complete a detailed inspection on your inventory and get actual data as you might be a better position than you think. The cost of parts and time though is likely near your trade costs. You'll need a bunch of RSAs, magazines, sights, and enough internals to add up. Unfortunately, you are years behind the 9mm transition and no one wants your guns. You may have more options on the east coast.

Your stop-gap solution may pay for 50% and more of your overall transition.

My approach would be to propose complete replacement in an overall technology and training upgrade/modernization program. Block it out and discuss it in component pieces. Your tech is old and in need of overhaul that isn't economically viable. Your tech limits human performance, use 9mm cost and human performance arguments. New models incorporate design and manufacturing changes (M barrels, better ergo/fitment, ambi, Bold sights, etc) that improve performance. A total transition allows integration of additional models more suitable for special assignments or shooter fit (43X, 48).

I hate the word "liability" as it's BS in common use, but it works with some admins. Discussing "state of the industry" is good. If your neighboring/cooperating agencies are ahead of you, that can be handy to point out. Find out what iconic agency your admin looks up to, and if it's an agreeable option to you use the heck out of it directly or indirectly. One page cover sheet with a summary of your proposal in short, narrative paragraphs. Details in the following pages.

Hope that helps. I'd try as hard as I could to stop investing in old tech.
    Last edited by ST911; 10-17-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Caveats: a) Haven't had to work with Gen 3 .40s since 2011; b) I dealt with about 250 office-owned -22s & had probably 175 in service at any time; c) I have little experience with the -23s.

The service life on the Gen 3 RSA's, as of '10/'11, is substantially lower what it was once reported. Replacing them completely at 2500rds is not at all unreasonable.

Next, I would replace all of the magazines. The last time I looked at the magazines for Gen 3 -22s, it was version 9 bodies with version 2 followers - those were the numbers embossed into them.

After dealing with those two issues, then going through with the rest of the parts replacements would be reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    The service life on the Gen 3 RSA's, as of '10/'11, is substantially lower what it was once reported. Replacing them completely at 2500rds is not at all unreasonable.

Next, I would replace all of the magazines. The last time I looked at the magazines for Gen 3 -22s, it was version 9 bodies with version 2 followers - those were the numbers embossed into them.
    Just checked a G22 +2 mag(was the closest 40 mag I had handy)

body 04

Follower 10
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Just checked a G22 +2 mag(was the closest 40 mag I had handy)

body 04

Follower 10
    BigT - thank you, I screwed that up.

Version 9 follower, version 2 mag body.

Erick

Site Supporter
    The regional Glock rep stopped by today at my request with parts to repair the pistol. After parts replacement and reassembly, the pistol would severely bind intermittently when being racked. We switched recoil springs and trigger bars to attempt to locate the source of the binding. He called the mothership in GA and the man on the line walked us through all of the various checks. No success. At his direction, the pistol will be sent to Glock for the in house gurus to examine.
    Sufficient parts will be ordered to take care of any reasonable issues for the next year or two until the new pistols are bought and issued. All of the older Gen 3s will be inspected on a high priority basis. The newer guns will be inspected at the next range qual cycle.
    I appreciate all of the feedback.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 10-22-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    The regional Glock rep stopped by today at my request with parts to repair the pistol. After parts replacement and reassembly, the pistol would severely bind intermittently when being racked. We switched recoil springs and trigger bars to attempt to locate the source of the binding. He called the mothership in GA and the man on the line walked us through all of the various checks. No success. At his direction, the pistol will be sent to Glock for the in house gurus to examine.
    Sufficient parts will be ordered to take care of any reasonable issues for the next year or two until the new pistols are bought and issued. All of the older Gen 3s will be inspected on a high priority basis. The newer guns will be inspected at the next range qual cycle.
    I appreciate all of the feedback.
    In the midst of compiling a parts order for Glock, I re-examined the pistol. There was some peening on the rear of the barrel locking lug that we missed yesterday. I went to the range, installed the barrel from my issued G23, and it ran fifty rounds of our duty ammo from all three magazines without a hitch. A new barrel will be on the way soon.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Some random thoughts:

At a round count of 2,500 on average, I would expect NO parts breakages, even with a relatively hard recoiling round in a light gun. Having said that, out of an excess of caution, I'd order a SMALL sample of all of those parts (maybe enough for 10% replacement), then do a 100% inspection looking for accelerated wear. Replace only those parts that look out of spec, and save money to have more available to buy better firearms.

Agree with other posters that if your agency reached out to GLOCK about a wholesale swap of pistols, I'm betting they would be VERY pleased with the offer GLOCK made for a direct exchange of G23s for, say 19Ms or Gen5 G19 MOS pistols.

With a weapon swap coming in the next year or so, I would not spend any money on night sights. The ones on your pistols have far surpassed the halflife of the tritium in them, but you gotta play the cards dealt you. It doesn't sound like a good use of tax payer money to get new sights now...
    My thoughts as well. The 10% parts on hand is a similar approach I took when I drafted an armorer policy for my old agency. I suggested annual inspections, too. Not so much for wear and tear, but for the self-assigned gun smith. Also, my old agency was not huge, so annual inspections would not have been onerous.

I’m surprised to hear that the trigger pin was broken and short. My first thought was the pistol owner has taken that gun fully apart. If you want to see my draft armorer policy, PM me an email address and I’m happy to send it.

User Tag List