Thread: Makarov, CZ-82, or Bust...

Makarov, CZ-82, or Bust...

I got my FFL-03 switched over to the Maine address, and already had a S&W 1937 (Brazilian 1917) arrive. Might not be a huge deal to most, but coming from NJ... it is nice to see how regular America is supposed to operate.

Anyways, looking at another small gun purchase prior to the holidays. Been eyeing up a Makarov for years... but would only be either a Russian (military, not commercial) or an East German. Those are the only C&R ones... Bulgarians are not. [emoji107] Maybe it is my like of Soviet era guns (Nagant, Mosin x2, SKS, Tokarev), or just because it is a neat pistol, but sort of stuck on one. But looking at GunBroker, I’m looking at the $600 range.

I saw a Polish P-64, which sort of interested me... but too small. Then, scrolled past a CZ-82, which I know a few places still have them in stock. These are in the $300 range, double stack (12 round magazines), and are decent little pistols. Have a CZ SP-01, so do like their guns... but I also hate their finish. That enamel coating is just a pain to me, which is why I’ll likely be sending my SP-01 out for refinishing eventually.

I personally like safety/decocker on the Makarov more than cocked/locked of the CZ. My SP-01... fine, but I feel for a gun in the size of the two in question, slide mounted decocker/safety is a better fit (decock only... that would be HEAVEN [emoji41]).

Figured I’d ask around and see if anyone has some good/bad/ugly on either of the designs. Doubt it, since both seem to be Cold War work horses, but sometimes it is good to get views from other people.

Not likely going to be carrying either. If I do get the CZ, a Makarov likely will follow... but doubt I’ll keep both at that time. A CZ-52 is definitely another gun that will make the collection, but left my Tokarev/ammo in NJ... so putting that off a little bit.

Shy of that, I eventually want to get a 20” upper for my AR lower with Echo trigger... and sort of been eyeing a CMMG Banshee (can hold off on that until we switch over to Glocks). And of course, I want to build an AR pistol with the Brownells BRN-180S upper. Will figure it out, but want to keep myself busy over the winter.

Thanks for reading.

Site Supporter
    I love my East German mak. Got it this year. Saw it as more of a curiosity than a gun I'd do a lot of shooting with/carry. But I quickly discovered how well it shoots in my hands. Puts up tight little groups at 10 yards, shoots precisely to POA. I have smaller hands and the ergos suit me. I can get fairly high on the grip and the trigger reach is just about perfect (for me) in SA and DA. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but no problems. DA is heavy but smooth, SA has a nice crisp break. I realize you said you probably won't carry it... but... for someone who's a fan of DA/SA pistols, the PM checks a lot of my boxes in a carry gun. Of course the sights are primitive (though precise) and the caliber is ballistically inferior to capitalist 9mm. Though I'm not sure it's enough to really matter for a civilian carry gun. It's better than .380 and makes slightly bigger holes.

So yeah, I carried mine this summer. Wanted something a little more svelte than my P239--and the front sight fell off on my EMP. This fit the bill.

Beyond that, the build quality, fit and finish are superb in the EG. There's something appealingly "utilitarian" about it... but also a touch of elegance. Has a satisfying heft in the hand and definitely feels a like serious, no-nonsense piece of machinery. I also find the mechanics impressive. All the internal parts look big, strong and well made. And, based on my understanding, the feeding mechanics are somewhat different than most guns: the case rim does not slide up the breech face during feeding and "slip in" under the extractor claw. Instead, the extractor jumps the case rim as the round feeds into the chamber. Less elegant I suppose, but it seems like a simpler mechanical transaction compared to the "controlled feed" setup on most other guns. Plus, the rounds sit very high relative to the feed ramp--which has markedly less-steep angle than a lot of guns. You can see why the PM is so reliable. From my non-engineer perspective... it just seems like an overall excellent design. I mean, it had to be, right? Make that shit work or end up in the Gulag.

The only thing that gave me pause about the Mak, is the free-floating firing pin. It will literally leave marks on primers after you chamber rounds. This freaked me out at first, but from everything I've read, the firing pin is too light to detonate a primer from its own inertia. The guns have passed numerous drop tests, etc. That said, keep the FP channel clean and... maybe... take it a bit easier on racking the slide. Given the extractor/feeding setup, you can literally ride it into battery (at least I have, with no issues).

So, long story short... I'm a Mak fan. You won't be disappointed with the EG. I haven't owned a CZ-82/83, but for me, the size/width would sort of negate a lot of the appeal these kind of guns offer. That, and, give me a freakin' decocker in a double action gun. I owned a P64, and it was surprisingly accurate and reliable. But the DA trigger literally (and I mean literally, literally) cannot be pulled unless you change the mainspring. And then it makes the SA feel kinda janky and loosey-goosey. And it is very unpleasant to shoot. But it is significantly smaller than a PM. Has a place, I suppose... but I think you'd be happier with a real PM.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 10-16-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Site Supporter
    Old thread but, there are some Makarovs in stock.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/arsenal-bulgarian-makarov

https://globalordnance.com/arsenal-m...ter-and-sling/

How drop safe are these things?

Makarov, CZ-82, or Bust...

No idea for drop safe… but for the original post, picked up a Walther PP in .32. Easier round to source, but I’m also planning on having it threaded so I can use my Dead Air Odessa.

For me, finding 9mm Makarov would be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Old thread but, there are some Makarovs in stock.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/arsenal-bulgarian-makarov

https://globalordnance.com/arsenal-m...ter-and-sling/

How drop safe are these things?
    It's been a long time since I owned one. If I recall correctly they use a free floating firing pin so I could absolutely see a drop safety issue if they hit hard enough at the wrong angle. That's speculation though. I do recall discussions of slamfires from dirty firing pin channels and the inertial firing pin.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I've owned two CZ-83s; both commercial models. The first was in .380, the second was one of the first commercial ones in 9x18 Makarov from CZ USA (so early that the "City" in their "Kansas City" rollmarking had a lower case "c"...

The CZ 82/83 was. and remains in my opinion a superb gun, and probably the best for .380/9x18 cartridges. Good ergos, good sights, really nice triggers (both in DA and SA). Pretty complex mechanically, but I've never heard, or experienced and issues with reliability or component breakage.

My only qualms had to do with size efficiency. They're pretty much the size of a Glock G19, and, if you have both, as I did, things got to the point of "Well, what's the point of the CZ 82/83?" and it ended up going down the road.

If you're searching, the earlier models with the rounded triggerguard are probably more desirable. The CZ-83's have a nicer finish than the -82s. Grips are utilitarian plastic, probably with a phillips-head screw holding each in place.

Kramer made me a really nice IWB #3 horsehide holster that was exceptionally effective and comfortable, I'd highly recommend them.

Frankly, in a .380/9x18, the only guns I'd probably also consider would be a Glock G42, a Beretta 84/85, Beretta 34, or a FN/Browning Model 1910 or 1922.

Best, Jon

No personal knowledge, but current/prospective Cz82/83 owners may be interested in the thread link below (on another forum) on drop safety issues with them...it includes a translation of a Czech article that discusses Czech police testing that determined there was an issue. The incident in the US that started the discussion (linked in the thread below) involved hammer down on loaded chamber (safety off, as it can't be applied if the gun isn't cocked) and a fall onto the hammer.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85311.0

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    No personal knowledge, but current/prospective Cz82/83 owners may be interested in the thread link below (on another forum) on drop safety issues with them...it includes a translation of a Czech article that discusses Czech police testing that determined there was an issue. The incident in the US that started the discussion (linked in the thread below) involved hammer down on loaded chamber (safety off, as it can't be applied if the gun isn't cocked) and a fall onto the hammer.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85311.0
    If the slide moves rearwards when the hammer is held forward (i.e. if the gun is dropped and lands on the hammer), then the hammer face and firing pin meet. Lacking a firing pin block this can lead to a discharge.

Its pretty clear if you're hands on: Decock and thumb the hammer and move the slide rearward. With that said the issue is only present on in the decoked state.

A mechanically sound gun is drop safe with a cocked hammer and safety engaged. The safety blocks slide movement and the hammer out of the way.

User Tag List