Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK "CARRYHAWK"

For anyone not liking this new bird’s-head sixgun, well, there have been plenty of convertible .45 ACP/.45 Colt Bisleys and Blackhawks made. My wife more-or-less claimed my stainless Bisley convertible, and I have been wondering whether to buy another, for a while.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I dig it. I’d even carry it.
    Yes, but you are a well known blasphemer.

Site Supporter
    I kind of like it.
    I'm currently involved in target shooting leagues and have been using a Glock 41.
    I could see this as nice alternative and I would have to pick up brass
    As long as I would be able to change out the front sight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I kind of like it.
    I'm currently involved in target shooting leagues and have been using a Glock 41.
    I could see this as nice alternative and I would not have to pick up brass
    As long as I would be able to change out the front sight.
    I could see this as nice alternative and I would not have to pick up brass

And even if you drop a case or two, those huge 45 Colt cases are very easy to find on the ground, even among a pile of 9mm cases.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I get that. That's why I don't get the appeal of this hybrid. It ruins the nostalgia factor to me, the romantic cowboy factor is gone with the modern hussy fittings. It seems the worst of both worlds, IMO, though I'm not going to yell 'your fun is wrong' if you like it.
    Thinking "Steampunk"....to define the niche, maybe?

The good thing about these modern Rugers is that you can actually take them places, use them, and not inordinately worry if they pick up some wear and scars in the process. And they're built to take both what you and other Nature can dish out, and the decent adjustable sights are a huge plus in actual use.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Hmmmmm, I see the irony.

I've carried my AL framed Blackhawk before. Quite honestly I'm pretty happy with 6 rounds of 250 xtps or swc @900-1200fps.

I don't really like birdshead grips though

Use of a magazine as a single-action speedloader (ok, we'll be realistic: A not so slow loader...) is an underrated technique. For 9mm and .45 ACP, things are pretty straightfoward: Simply use a standard magazine; I suspect that for .45 ACP, a 7 rounder is ideal due to lower spring tension, but using an extended tube 8-10 rounder shouldn't be a onerous difficulty; for 38 Special/.357 Magnum, I've successfully experimented with Desert Eagle magazines, cutting down the spring until there's sufficient tension to push up and hold 6 rounds-they're much easier to flick the cartridges into the loading gate that way.

Using semi-auto magazines as SA loading devices is a bit of an acquired skill, but I think it's a much better way to carry and load spare SA cartridges. I've experimented with loading tubes (PVC sprinkler tubing capped on at least on end, dumped into the cylinder while rotating the cylinder) Neoprene "Speed Stars" (like a Binachi Speed Strip, only star-shaped, and holding 5 rounds), dump pouches, belt slides with cartridge loops, etc. In my opinion, the magazine route is the best, providing reasonable loading speeds, cartridge protection, and ease of carry/storage.

I've been trying to convince Check-Mate for years that there's a market pool for them out there; just minor tweaking, if any would be all that seemingly would be required. Could be a nice co-branding opportunity as well. To date, no one's congratulated me on my market acumen...

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Every time I've come across a discussion of single action revolvers as defensive/carry weapons certain responses always come up. For example:

The New Model Ruger is always recommended over the old 3-screw Blackhawks or traditional SAAs from Colt and its copies, for the advantage of 6 rounds over 5. Yet many of these same people will freely admit to carrying J-frames or LCRs with only 5-rouinds of 38 Specials. Some how five rounds of 45 Colt just doesn't measure up in their estimation. (smile)

And eventually the discussion will get to reloading, as this one has. Yes, a SA chambered for 45 ACP can be loaded faster with a semi-auto magazine, but really...it takes so bloody long to eject the empties from a SA, reloading is more of an after though, or a matter of topping off so you're not standing around with an empty gun in your hands. And based on oft quoted stats for defensive shootings, they're over in 1-3 rounds fired. If 5 rounds of 45 Colt (or even 45 ACP) didn't solve the problem, you have a much bigger problem than how fast you can reload will solve. (smile again)

Qualifier: If you aren't very well practiced in the manual of arms, manipulation and shooting of your single action revolver...don't even think of carrying it except for fun at the range or in the woods, mountains, or desert.

Dave

User Tag List