Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK "CARRYHAWK"

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I'm not sure I could talk myself into it, but hell, there are people running around out there with .380s.
    Sig line material, sir.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I guess I don't get the attraction to a hybrid of cowboy romanticism and modern carry revolver.
    Right there with you on that. I'm all about 4" big-bore revolvers, but choosing SA over DA for carry seems like a giant step backwards.

I predict that it will sell like hotcakes.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Right there with you on that. I'm all about 4" big-bore revolvers, but choosing SA over DA for carry seems like a giant step backwards.

I predict that it will sell like hotcakes.

Okie John
    I’m kinda there with you. I mean, I get that the concept is cool and all, but who is really going to be carrying this when and where?

Full disclosure: I don’t currently own a SA wheelgun. But I do plan on getting one at some point down the road because: why the hell not?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I’m kinda there with you. I mean, I get that the concept is cool and all, but who is really going to be carrying this when and where?

Full disclosure: I don’t currently own a SA wheelgun. But I do plan on getting one at some point down the road because: why the hell not?
    Exactly, I have a Vaquero in stainless with a a 3 3/4”bbl, birdshead grip, in .45 acp. I have no illusions about carrying it, but it is a absolute blast to shoot, and considering the sights, it’s pretty dammed accurate. They’re great for taking a break from the tactical Timmy stuff, and just having some honest fun..everybody should have at least one.

Site Supporter
    In terms of carry, I think it's mostly used as a backcountry carry tool and not an urban carry tool, though I'm sure there are SA fans who do so "just because".

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    In terms of carry, I think it's mostly used as a backcountry carry tool and not an urban carry tool, though I'm sure there are SA fans who do so "just because".

Chris
    Yup. Guilty. I'm a nostalgic goofball with an uncontrollable lust for cowboy-ish guns, who knows better. I don't carry this Ruger Blackhawk New Model Flat Top 45 convertible very often. But every once in a very great while, I just gotta. And that new Blackhawk is like a freaking tractor beam straight to my wallet.

Name:  Blackhawk2.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  64.8 KB
    Ordinary guy

Site Supporter
    We had an older officer qualify with a Ruger blackhawk with a birds head grip in 44 acp awhile back. He used to carry it to court. I wouldn’t do it every day but I can see carrying one now that I’m retired. I’m sure it’s speed is not that far off a double action revolver for first round hits. Of course it would take skill and practice. I wish they had done it on a regular flat top blackhawk and used a D&L rear sight. But that’s okay. I plan on doing just that soon. I remember getting a Thad Rybka catalog a long time ago and he had a 45 acp blackhawk pictured with a 1911 mag for a speed loader/ ammo holder
    Last edited by Poconnor; 10-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    We had an older officer qualify with a Ruger blackhawk with a birds head grip in 44 acp awhile back. He used to carry it to court. I wouldn’t do it every day but I can see carrying one now that I’m retired. I’m sure it’s speed is not that far off a double action revolver for first round hits. Of course it would take skill and practice. I wish they had done it on a regular flat top blackhawk and used a D&L rear sight. But that’s okay. I plan on doing just that soon. I remember getting a Thad Rybka catalog a long time ago and he had a 45 acp blackhawk pictured with a 1911 mag for a speed loader/ ammo holder
    See post 26: apparently, the good idea fairy thinks that “magazine as speed loader” idea needs to get around to as many people as are gonna even think about carrying a .45 ACP single action revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris
    That’s all mine is - a woods gun, along with my S&W 69.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Exactly, I have a Vaquero in stainless with a a 3 3/4”bbl, birdshead grip, in .45 acp. I have no illusions about carrying it, but it is a absolute blast to shoot, and considering the sights, it’s pretty dammed accurate. They’re great for taking a break from the tactical Timmy stuff, and just having some honest fun..everybody should have at least one.
    This. For sure, all of this.

And, I have indeed "mexican" carried an SA blackhawk before... to the range (with some regularity), and to the campground bathroom (not as much as I’d like, sadly). OMMV.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List