Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK "CARRYHAWK"

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ultimate hipster gun.
    Only if it’s a black powder variant. Too new otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XS sights? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ultimate hipster gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Only if it’s a black powder variant. Too new otherwise.
    Sort of a reverse cartridge conversion. Loose powder and ball only or will paper cartridges be acceptable?

Then again come late January of next year, that might be the most modern handgun we can buy...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    So, the Carryhawk that I ordered came in, and I had a chance to go fondle it in person. Bottom line up front: it’s great. Better looking in person, and with a feature set that just works in the hand. The trigger is a bit wider than standard Blackhawk fare—meaning a bit more leverage and control over the release; sort of reminds me of a scaled-up J-frame smooth target trigger in feel. The hammer spur is a touch lower than my other SAs—though not Bisley feeling—and possessed of a wider spur with aggressive checkering that makes it easy to work, even single-handed. Of course, the sights are great for worn-out eyes.

The fit and action on this one is excellent; on par with other special runs (eg. 50th anniversary), and the matte finish looks killer, if a bit strike-a-match rough by design. The balance is excellent, despite the larger frame, what with the weighty, non-fluted cylinder and flat-sided 4" barrel. In short, it’s a cool SA wheelie that feels a lot better than it looks on paper. 2 cylinders included, natch.

Current events dictate that I let this one go to the next guy on the waitlist, but I will be grabbing one of these things for sure at some point down the road.

FWIW.
    It it all steel or does it have an aluminum frame and ejector rod housing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Old Timer/Schrade Sharpfingers can still be had on the used market with a little searching, and are often worth the asking price, as they are not terribly expensive knives. Just make sure you get one of the older, USA made ones. They started making them in the mid 70s, and made them here until the early 2000s. I remember reading somewhere that the early ones were of a high carbon steel. I don't know steel types from strawberries, so I can't help there.
    Sharpfingers are great knives. I used an old USA made one back in the 70's and 80's. I lost it while big game hunting in North Idaho. I now have 3 of the current imported 7.1 inch Shrade Sharpfingers that live on each of my "wood's knocking" gun belts. I like them just as well for the intended purpose and I don't have to worry about losing or damaging them. They old ones were not expensive. They were just inexpensive, well designed and durable. So are the new imported variety. The sheaths are another thing, they work but leave a lot to be desired.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Sort of a reverse cartridge conversion. Loose powder and ball only or will paper cartridges be acceptable?

Then again come late January of next year, that might be the most modern handgun we can buy...
    SAA is a weapon of war. It's right there in the name.

As is the 1911, and the Hi-Power and the Beretta 92 and the P226 and the P220 and the P210 and the Luger and the Mauser... There are stories about Blackhawks in the tunnels in Vietnam.

All the good, durable, reliable ones are weapons of war.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    It it all steel or does it have an aluminum frame and ejector rod housing?
    Most def steel frame, and I’m pretty sure the ejector housing is steel too, but I can’t swear to it. Going by memory from when this thread was young.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    ...There are stories about Blackhawks in the tunnels in Vietnam.
    My dad’s best friend from childhood is one of those stories. The name could be verified by a P-F member from the teams pretty easily.

I got to fondle a Carryhawk at a gun shop. Close but not quite.

What I want is a 4 5/8” Blackhawk framed gun in .45 Colt using a Carpenter 465 cylinder (with proper throats), Bisley grips, a Novak rear sight and the Carryhawk front sight with a tritium insert. G-10 grips and finished in that gray stuff Ruger uses on the Super Redhawk.
    They can call it the “Greyhawk”

I’ll probably end up sendIng a Blackhawk off to a custom smith along with a bunch of $.

Before my back went south... I carried on a occasion a 45/8in Barreled Flattop Ruger Blackhawk 45Colt/45acp loaded with
    45 Acp 230gr Golden Sabers .. I found that load had the same POI as 230gr Ball

I have found that to still be true in my Charter Pitbull 45acp

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Bump the necro thread, because, .44mag carryhawk, bitchezz!

https://ruger.com/products/newModelS...eets/0875.html

Pretty cool.
    What's the over/under on how many of my .44 mag handloads you can stand to shoot through that in one range session?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List