Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK "CARRYHAWK"

I dunno... here in WA/ID, savvy woodland kids learned quickly that pants are optional, but shoes/boots are not. JMO.

(As an side, there is a small coterie of business owners, educators, and artists hereabouts who greet each other in random moments about town with: “hey, I've seen you naked..." as sort of a secret handshake. Believe me, you can get more done with hot springs, whiskey and danner or white’s boots than with hot springs and whiskey alone. Or so I’ve heard.)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Single-action revolvers for me are a compendium of nostalgia, challenge, appreciation of a well-executed gun, and just plain fun. Sometimes we're entitled to that...

Best, Jon
    I get that. That's why I don't get the appeal of this hybrid. It ruins the nostalgia factor to me, the romantic cowboy factor is gone with the modern hussy fittings. It seems the worst of both worlds, IMO, though I'm not going to yell 'your fun is wrong' if you like it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I dig it. I’d even carry it.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

For those of us not current on Ruger Blackhawk models, this one appears to have the regular "New Model Blackhawk" frame that can handle "Ruger Only" loads. Is that correct?

Is there any definitive information on the grip frame material? It is carbon steel or aluminum alloy? I cannot find any information that provides a definitive answer, including ad copy describing the grip frame or weight. I notice the barrel is slab-sided so I do not understand why the cylinder is not fluted and provided with a front cylinder radius to make holstering easier on holsters.

There are a bunch of guys in the south west who think that a Colt SAA loaded with five rounds is just dandy for social carry. The Ruger system that allows safely carrying six rounds is “new fangled” tech to them. They try not to get more than two or three bad guys mad at them simultaneously.

My paws don’t work well with plowshare or birds-head handles or I’d be interested in one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    For those of us not current on Ruger Blackhawk models, this one appears to have the regular "New Model Blackhawk" frame that can handle "Ruger Only" loads. Is that correct?

Is there any definitive information on the grip frame material? It is carbon steel or aluminum alloy? I cannot find any information that provides a definitive answer, including ad copy describing the grip frame or weight. I notice the barrel is slab-sided so I do not understand why the cylinder is not fluted and provided with a front cylinder radius to make holstering easier on holsters.
    It's a curious combination of features.

It does appear to be built on the large Blackhawk frame, so it should handle "Ruger Only" .45 Long Colt loads. Given the size of the grip, this will likely result in a front sight shaped laceration in more than one forehead.

I'm fairly convinced that Mr. Clapp's version of the SP101 will be the next gun I buy, and there's a decent chance his take on the GP100 will be the one after that. The combination of features on this one is just giving me a German Shepherd-esque head tilt.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I was looking forward to a Wiley Clapp Single Action, unfortunately the bird's head grip on this one takes it out of the running for me. Here's what I was hoping for:

Ruger Flattop frame
    45 ACP
    4" barrel (with 45 ACP only you can get away with a shorter barrel and ejector rod)
    Aluminum XR-3 grip frame--this would be a first for Ruger in the New Model Flattop's. I have an original Flattop 44 Magnum with the alloy XR3 grip and it is a wonderfully balanced, fast-handling gun. Ruger needs to bring back this grip frame.
    Bisley hammer
    Novak rear sight dovetail, with "ledge" style fixed sight, wide notch, rear serrated
    Gold bead front sight, height calculated to 230gr 45 ACP factory hard ball

All within Ruger's manufacturing capabilities, and would make for a uniquely useful sixgun. What they have produced is the first impractical Wiley Clapp signature model.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I get that. That's why I don't get the appeal of this hybrid. It ruins the nostalgia factor to me, the romantic cowboy factor is gone with the modern hussy fittings. It seems the worst of both worlds, IMO, though I'm not going to yell 'your fun is wrong' if you like it.
    I'd like this post more than once if I could. My best to those that like it but I couldn't agree with you more!

When you get down to it, all the "modern" features are pretty normal custom touches in the sixgun world: birdshead grip, matte finish, quaisi-octagon slab-sided barrel... really, only the XS big dot sights even remotely tick the unusual box, and thanks be to baby Keanu for those. JMO, OMMV.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

MSRP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List