Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK "CARRYHAWK"

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Since I had the fight with the fellow that left me with a dangling thumb on my strong side I am 100% adverse to any handgun that requires a thumb to use properly. Very unlikely situation, I know, but one that left it's mark on me.
    You're not the only one.

December 23rd marks the 117th anniversary of Luke Short's last great gunfight. It was a shoot out with Charlie Wright at Charlie's gambling den in Ft. Worth. With all the gun fights and violence Luke was known for, this was the only time he was ever wounded. He had already killed 11 men, though some say it was 17, without getting tarnished himself. That's because, up until that December night in 1890, Luke had always been the one to fire the first shot, and it was always lethal. But that night in Ft. Worth, he got badly wounded in the thigh, and his thumb and two fingers were shot plumb off his right hand.
    http://www.texasescapes.com/MaggieVa...ers-Friend.htm
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I wonder if anyone has taken one through ECQC type drills. I'd be absolutely fascinated what "best practices" ended up looking like even though I know it's not something I'd ever seriously consider. Since I had the fight with the fellow that left me with a dangling thumb on my strong side I am 100% adverse to any handgun that requires a thumb to use properly. Very unlikely situation, I know, but one that left it's mark on me.
    I get the sense that a skilled BJJ/Muay Thai/ECQC practitioner would be OK with most types of weapons (to include a knife or sap) in a clinch. But for me as a mortal I'll stick with a simple, reliable, accurate firearm.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have absolutely no use for one of these, but the want is very strong for one! The MSRP is quite a bit less than I expected as well. I will definitely be looking for one to handle!

Yeah, so I sorta let my friendly LGS know I was in the market for one of these...

I’ll let y’all know when it comes in.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    BWAHAHAHAAAAA! (*wipes tears from corners of eyes)

That was pretty much my previous point; it’s hard enough getting a G17 into action under resistance. I’d rather have a clinch pick than a Blackhawk in a FUT. And I LOVES me some Blackhawk.

About the only time I could see an SA hogleg providing any advantage is long-range; If I had one chance to put a round into an active shooter at 40 yards with a handgun, I suppose experience has shown my 50th anniversary.357 to be at least as good as anything in my safe. I suppose a brace of Rugers might make sense during times of complete economic trade shutdown: they’re pretty maintenance-free.

But I’m not expecting either scenario this week.
    A large S.A. revolver has one advantage over a G17 in a FUT, it makes a much better bludgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A large S.A. revolver has one advantage over a G17 in a FUT, it makes a much better bludgeon.
    This is very true.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    My understanding is that barefoot and timber rattlers aren't necessarily a good combination, but hey, what do I know??

Best, Jon
    My Dad can personally attest that barefoot and copperhead aren’t a good combination in East Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    For anyone not liking this new bird’s-head sixgun, well, there have been plenty of convertible .45 ACP/.45 Colt Bisleys and Blackhawks made. My wife more-or-less claimed my stainless Bisley convertible, and I have been wondering whether to buy another, for a while.
    My 4 5/8” Blackhawk.45/.45 ACP convertible is one of my favorite walking around the woods and fun guns. I had gotten pretty decent at longer range when I had institutional access to .45 ACP. Single action revolvers are just fun.

And while it, or my .44 Spl New Frontier, wouldn’t be my first choice as a defensive tool, I certainly wouldn’t want to be in the receiving end of a 240-255 gr hard cast semi-wadcutter at 850 -900 FPS.
    Last edited by LSP552; 10-19-2019 at 10:57 AM.

I'm sorry Marlin isn't doing one of the "Dark Series" rifles in an 1894 45 Colt, to go along with the Ruger.For now,the 336 30/30 Dark and or 1895 45/70 Dark will have to do.I back ordered several of the Rugers,I'll post when they become available.

User Tag List