Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK "CARRYHAWK"

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    What's the over/under on how many of my .44 mag handloads you can stand to shoot through that in one range session?
    44 Mag is the new 44 special. The beauty of the cartridge is that you can load it anyway you want.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    44 Mag is the new 44 special. The beauty of the cartridge is that you can load it anyway you want.
    I’ve got 320gr loads that you can’t keep both hands on the gun during recoil. I’ve used 240gr LSWC loads with a reduced load of Unique in CCW classes for small women who after they shot it went home and bragged that they had shot “a .44 MAGNUM” to their husbands.

The .45 Colt is at least as versatile, I’m sorry mine all went to other homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Those of us who reload can. IMO this thing should have been a .44 Special (with a shorter barrel). Those grips look awful small on a magnum, and you know somebody is going to try it out, because they can.

Re-reading this thread is making me want a Vaquero in .45 Auto.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Those of us who reload can. IMO this thing should have been a .44 Special (with a shorter barrel). Those grips look awful small on a magnum, and you know somebody is going to try it out, because they can.

Re-reading this thread is making me want a Vaquero in .45 Auto.
    It won't be pleasant that's for sure. 44 special would be my choice also but that cartridge is only popular with cowboy action shooters and a few old timers. 45 auto revolvers are great fun. I have a S&W 625 that gets to the range when I tire of the 45 ACP pistols, of which I have many.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Having fired hot .45 Colt loads (360gr at 1050fps) from an original birds-head gripped Ruger Vaquero (large frame), that practice is, in my opinion, am impractical use of such a gun. I found it to be unnecessarily painful--mainly because the hammer spur hit me hard in the web of my hand as the gun twisted upward in recoil--and my recovery time was very slow because the birds-head grip shifted dramatically in my hand.

Birds-head grips are comfortable and look cool, but if pure shooting performance is the primary consideration--and if recoil management matters at all--I'd recommend sticking with the Bisley and plow-handle frames.

I bought one of these. My Son and I have had a helluva time shooting it during the quarantine times. I’ve used both cylinders. I found a treasure trove of .45 Colt Ammo here.

I use a Simply Rugged, “Shootist,” for banging around with it. Not too worried about using it as a concealed piece. If the world gets to that, I’ll make it happen. It hides under a shirt jacket for me fine. I carry spare Ammo in a SR loop carrier as well, when I’m in the woods. I really dig that future cowboy esthetic. Read through this thread...appears many don’t like the aesthetic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor, I like the "future cowboy esthetic"too.Ruger believes enough in the concept to introduce the .44 Mag.The Carryhawk makes a great sidearm to the Marlin Dark and Henry X Model.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I bought one of these. My Son and I have had a helluva time shooting it during the quarantine times. I’ve used both cylinders. I found a treasure trove of .45 Colt Ammo here.

I use a Simply Rugged, “Shootist,” for banging around with it. Not too worried about using it as a concealed piece. If the world gets to that, I’ll make it happen. It hides under a shirt jacket for me fine. I carry spare Ammo in a SR loop carrier as well, when I’m in the woods. I really dig that future cowboy esthetic. Read through this thread...appears many don’t like the aesthetic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where is the gun's balance point? I'm wondering if the slab-sided barrel moves the balance at all; my old large-frame Vaquero with a bird's head grip and round barrel in .45 Colt balanced just ahead of the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Doctor, I like the "future cowboy esthetic"too.Ruger believes enough in the concept to introduce the .44 Mag.The Carryhawk makes a great sidearm to the Marlin Dark and Henry X Model.
    I was just thinking the same exact thing, and "future cowboy aesthetic" is right up my alley, although, I think one of those Chiappa Alaskan 1892 takedowns, in matching caliber, might be a slightly better fit for me.

Name:  chiappa takedown.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  41.0 KB
    Ordinary guy

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    A few months back, there were some barely used Chiappa Alaskans on GB with the chrome peeling off. Makes me nervous about that on such an expensive gun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List