Thread: Cause of and Fix for 10mm 1911 Magazine Issue?

Cause of and Fix for 10mm 1911 Magazine Issue?

Has anyone ever experienced magazine followers attempting to leave the mag body through the feed lips under recoil?

I have a half-dozen Mec-Gar mags 10mm 8-rounders, and two of them consistently puke their guts halfway out on the last round. It looks like the followers are engaging the slide stop, but the other side (the right half of the follower with muzzle pointed away) is popping over the magazine feed lips. The other four mags run flawlessly.

No issues with Wilson or other brands' mags.

Does this sound like purely a mag issue or is partial follower ejection indicative of another problem with a 1911 (e.g, slide stop fit, mag release fit, ejector fitment, etc.) masked by higher quality magazines?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

As you know, 10mms with high-ish pressure and often slide velocities don't forgive any hint of tiredness in a magazine. Don't know how well used the puking mags are but sounds like - sight unseen - tired feed lips. I've had this issue with older Wilson mags. At the price point of MecGar mags, i'd bin them and move on. Might move the others of this brand (if bought/used together) into the training mag pile and get carry mags from someone else.
    Good luck.

Site Supporter
    Despite the fact that Mec Gar makes the best Beretta mags, I've had nothing but problems with their 1911 mags. I wouldn't be surprised if the feed lips were spread too far apart.

Are you using .45 mags or specifically designed 10mm mags?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

These are 10mm mags, not .45s.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Has anyone ever experienced magazine followers attempting to leave the mag body through the feed lips under recoil?
    I've had this issue with McCormick PowerMags and with a Wilson 47D (the 47D follower is shorter than the 47's follower).

I don't have any experience with Mec-Gar 1911 mags, but regarding 45dotACP's comment, you'll always get the "Mec-Gar makes OEM mags for a whole bunch of gun companies" in many of the "what 1911 mag should I get" threads, but I can't think of any company that uses Mec-Gar mags in their 1911's. It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad, just a clarification of what Mec-Gar specializes in.

CheckMate's patented follower (CMF) should stay in the tube, but doing business direct with CheckMate is not the easiest thing to do and I'm not sure any of their retailers sell their follower.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/in...wer&Itemid=298

I take that back, Tripp offers their "Flex" follower which is the CheckMate follower

http://www.trippresearchinc.com/fol-flx-10mm-38s/

The downside is that follower may not work with your spring as it needs to be slightly narrower, front to back, to work within the front and rear legs of the follower. CheckMate may be the only source of those springs, but I've got to believe Tripp should have them if they sell the followers.

Thunder Mountain Custom does have the CheckMate follower

https://shop.1911parts.com/Magazine-...lowers_c63.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Thunder Mountain Custom does have the CheckMate follower

https://shop.1911parts.com/Magazine-...lowers_c63.htm
    Thanks for pointing that out.

User Tag List