Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Model 29 .44 Magnum at 150 yards with pics

The Model 29 .44 Magnum at 150 yards with pics

So I took my 5" Model 29 Classic with Burris Fastfire RDO out Sunday to confirm zero, and to readjust the zero for 150 yards.

It only took a few shots to re-adjust the sights as I had previously been zeroed at 100 yards.

I only had time to shoot 2 groups, but I figured I would share the results. Once I made my adjustments, I shot a 3 shot group on one target, and a 5 shot on the other.

I was using the old Elmer Keith method, leaning against an object, which in this case was my truck tire, bracing the revolver between my knees and shooting.

This is 5 shots at 150 yards.

For reference, the circle/target is my highly precise Folgers coffee can lid that I used as a template to spray paint

The load is a 240 grain hard cast powder coated hollow point pushed by 10 grains Unique.
    The 240 Cast/10 Gr Unique has long been my standard mid range load and is a pretty solid working load.

The Snake.

While walking up to check the target, I jumped about two feet up and back when this silver snake came out of nowhere and tried to bite me..

Scared the crap out of me. I am not scared of snakes though, really.

Nice shooting!

I’ve been using 10/U/240 for close to 30 years. It’s one of the best-kept secrets of the 44 Magnum world. Accurate enough for rabbits, powerful enough for deer.

A few questions:
    1. Why did you want to zero for 150?
    2. What’s your mid-range trajectory with the 100- and150-yard zeros?
    3. Where did you get the bullets?
    4. What’s your velocity in that gun? I’d estimate about 1,150 fps.

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Great shooting, wonderful photos, and beautiful country. Looks very much like west central New Mexico where I was raised on my family's cattle ranch for much of my early life. Thanks for sharing!

Personal load or factory ammo?

Nice shooting. I am not scared of snakes either or spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Personal load or factory ammo?

Nice shooting. I am not scared of snakes either or spiders.
    Ignore my first question I was reading on phone and didn't see the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Nice shooting!

I’ve been using 10/U/240 for close to 30 years. It’s one of the best-kept secrets of the 44 Magnum world. Accurate enough for rabbits, powerful enough for deer.

A few questions:
    1. Why did you want to zero for 150?
    2. What’s your mid-range trajectory with the 100- and150-yard zeros?
    3. Where did you get the bullets?
    4. What’s your velocity in that gun? I’d estimate about 1,150 fps.

Thanks,

Okie John

Thanks OJ,

When I went back to driving ( I had about a 450 mile drive, I decided that I did not care for the distance/accuracy combo. I would like to be able to keep them closer to a 4" group on demand (real world, not over a bench), which means I will re-zero again back to 100 yards. That is a huge benefit of an RDO. The groups at longer range are substantially smaller for me, than when using irons.

As far as the mid range at 150, I don't know, as its the first time using a red dot and zeroing at that distance. The change in eyesight has caused me to switch my hunting revolvers that I intended to shoot past 50 yards or so to RDOs. IIRC there was not that big of a max ordinate for the 240/10G.U load as one might think. Literally aiming a few inches low at 25 and not bothering from 50 yards on out was what I recall, as they were well within the heart lung area of a mature Mule Deer. The next time I go out and re-zero, I will put up some paper and check it out.

The bullets are from Idaho 1945 over at the cast bullet/24HrCF forum. He is a true SME when it comes to the subject of not only casting but handgun hunting in general.

Reference velocity, yes you are spot on.

Funny, the day before you posted this, I’d been thinking that I need to run a batch of ammo for my 5” Classic 629. I planned on doing the 240s with Unique too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Thanks OJ,

When I went back to driving ( I had about a 450 mile drive, I decided that I did not care for the distance/accuracy combo. I would like to be able to keep them closer to a 4" group on demand (real world, not over a bench), which means I will re-zero again back to 100 yards. That is a huge benefit of an RDO. The groups at longer range are substantially smaller for me, than when using irons.

As far as the mid range at 150, I don't know, as its the first time using a red dot and zeroing at that distance. The change in eyesight has caused me to switch my hunting revolvers that I intended to shoot past 50 yards or so to RDOs. IIRC there was not that big of a max ordinate for the 240/10G.U load as one might think. Literally aiming a few inches low at 25 and not bothering from 50 yards on out was what I recall, as they were well within the heart lung area of a mature Mule Deer. The next time I go out and re-zero, I will put up some paper and check it out.

The bullets are from Idaho 1945 over at the cast bullet/24HrCF forum. He is a true SME when it comes to the subject of not only casting but handgun hunting in general.

Reference velocity, yes you are spot on.
    Thanks. I think I'm headed down the red dot road, too. Probably sooner rather than later.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    ...When I went back to driving ( I had about a 450 mile drive, I decided that I did not care for the distance/accuracy combo. I would like to be able to keep them closer to a 4" group on demand (real world, not over a bench), which means I will re-zero again back to 100 yards. That is a huge benefit of an RDO. The groups at longer range are substantially smaller for me, than when using irons.

As far as the mid range at 150, I don't know, as its the first time using a red dot and zeroing at that distance. The change in eyesight has caused me to switch my hunting revolvers that I intended to shoot past 50 yards or so to RDOs...

Have you shot with a pistol scope any? I picked up a used 2x Leupold long ago, but never used it. I ended up trying it in a heavy barreled k-22. My offhand basement groups went from so-so OK to little fingernail size. Ive been wanting to try it in more open environments, or on something centerfire for various longer ranges.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List