Thread: VSRFay - Virtual Shooting Range Fayetteville, NC

Site Supporter

VSRFay - Virtual Shooting Range Fayetteville, NC

If this is in the wrong forum hopefully a mod can move it to the correct forum.

Each Columbus Day the owner of the company(Homeowners Property Management--if your moving to this area and need to rent a house or want to buy, let me know. I can help) I work for closes for the day and we have "team building." Thankfully he is a smart person so it's fun and we do learn something. Whatever he had planned for this morning canceled a few weeks ago and he asked for suggestions. I suggested VSR and he liked it. Candy Sugarman and Cindy came and set up their screen. Candy taught us a little gun knowledge and safety before we started. After that we broke into teams of two and shot zombies.

Things I learned today:

1) Holding a Sig 226 CO2 powered handgun or an AR-15 for a few minutes is hard and I started to get slight tremors(the rifle wasn't as bad). There is some downtime while shooting zombies so I started resting my arms. I'm weak and I need to work on arm strength. Shooting IDPA or 3 Gun the stages are fast compared to standing and waiting for the virtual range movie to play.

2) Trying to shoot with one eye closed and scan for zombies popping up does not work well. According to google both eyes give you a 120 degree arc of vision. So one eye is 60 degrees. Not enough. I need to practice more both eyes open shooting(live fire and dry fire). Using the little peep sight on an AR and keeping both eyes open is even harder. I tried, but it didn't work as well so I did a lot of triple shots with the AR.

3) How do zombies die a second death? Head shot. Shooting head shots is hard but the only effective way to stop a zombie. I guess you could argue "shooting the hip bones is also a way to stop them" but I don't think the virtual range is set up for that. Head shots seem to stop a target quickly but getting quick head shots is hard.

4) "Hollywood" ammo is fun. No reloading just blasting away. Candy said she can set the guns to stop at 15(or 30 for the AR) and then you have to "drop" the magazine and insert a new one. But, she said the magazines are very expensive and they were actually being dropped and broken. The guns have a slight recoil from the CO2 which is just enough to move you off target.

5) Personal Defense stages -- I did three of these after we were done with zombies. I hit the bad guy, girl, and a dog(the dog got me the first time. Second time I got him) as needed to stay alive. I was shooting fast and my hits were low and to the right on the people, but I did hit them. I need faster acquisition times before I pull the trigger to get center chest hits.

It was fun and there was a large variety of shooting stages to choose from; Texas stars, bottles, Hogan's Alley, ducks, personal defense, hostage, shoot/no shoot, quick draw, dueling tree, wild west, and many others. Some stages are graphic and use plenty of foul language - just like the real world! Some stages are set for two people, some for one. VSR has been setting up at a local pub(Dirt Bag Ales) on Sunday afternoons the last few weeks and til November. I hope to make it out there and shot a few stages again.

If you get the chance I recommend shooting a virtual range. It's fun, and different than shooting live ammunition but the fundamentals still apply. Thank you for reading my post.
    Last edited by Blades; 10-14-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    --Jason--

Thank you for writing the post!

I had an experience a couple of years back at a "virtual range" (thank you for the phrase!) set up at one of the nice indoor shooting ranges in Houston. You paid by time, and I selected a 45-minute experience.

I used a CO2 M&P, I wanted the "recoil" experience. As you stated, it was fun and different. The price of the experience was independent of the trigger presses, so I took the opportunity to shoot a lot, and quickly. I was with a new shooter, who used a recoil-less Glock. That has got to be one of the gentlest ways to introduce a new shooter. There's no opportunity to make lethal mistakes, and the ability to relax and have a "playful" sort of experience was enhanced.

I got into the CoolFire trainer in part due to this experience. Not the same thing, but it helped show me the value (and pleasure!) of laser training.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List