Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon SRO--Anyone else had problems?

SRO low sun angle

In direct comparison, the 507comp doesn’t suffer from it in situations that the SRO has a raging ball of false dot.

I am not sure I want to retrain my brain from a 5MOA dot, but if Holosun releases a cheaper single reticle 5-6 MOA version in the future, I’ll likely make the switch over.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Stoeger is many things but not poor.

He does subject stuff to hard use and sometimes buys multiples of mid range to cheap gear instead of buying premium gear. I think he recently mentioned that he’s shooting about 50,000 rounds a year. For example, when he got into rifles, instead of buying a good AR or two, he bought four aero precision rifles, and put Holosuns them.

On an unrelated note, he’s apparently killed three out of the four Aero rifles, but the Holosun optics are all still going strong.

Conversely, his primary use is range /training not life /safety. Nobody is getting killed if his optic or rifle bolt fails.
    I know who he is. My comment was a bit snark and tongue in cheek. It just seemed like a poor argument for tossing the SRO aside, given its other good attributes. He shoots a hell of a lot more than me, and a hell of a lot better than me, for sure, so I'm not discounting everything he's said out of hand. I just didn't see it as a convincing argument against the SRO. Him putting middle of the road gear through its paces is probably a good thing for the market. The price of an SRO is one reason I don't have one... the other being the possibility of wrecking the lens easily. I still want to try one, from time to time, but that's P2 money, and I think the P2 is probably more in line with my wants/needs.

I've had good luck with the three RMR's I own, and don't regret my purchases at all. Two of the three have higher round counts than the third, by far, so maybe I'm just lucky I have not had issues yet. I've read enough to know a lot of various problems crop up with all the different optics out there. Mounted on a pistol slide is a hard place to make an electronic device work reliably.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I know who he is. My comment was a bit snark and tongue in cheek. It just seemed like a poor argument for tossing the SRO aside, given its other good attributes. He shoots a hell of a lot more than me, and a hell of a lot better than me, for sure, so I'm not discounting everything he's said out of hand. I just didn't see it as a convincing argument against the SRO. Him putting middle of the road gear through its paces is probably a good thing for the market. The price of an SRO is one reason I don't have one... the other being the possibility of wrecking the lens easily. I still want to try one, from time to time, but that's P2 money, and I think the P2 is probably more in line with my wants/needs.

I've had good luck with the three RMR's I own, and don't regret my purchases at all. Two of the three have higher round counts than the third, by far, so maybe I'm just lucky I have not had issues yet. I've read enough to know a lot of various problems crop up with all the different optics out there. Mounted on a pistol slide is a hard place to make an electronic device work reliably.
    The question is does he get paid by Holosun or C&H.

You can get a brand new SRO for under $500 at EuroOptic.

The new Holosuns are just starting to become available. I may try one, but I will probably get at least one more SRO in the meantime.

I’m not a huge fan of C&H so that’s out. If I really want to try that optic the same factory in China makes them for several other brands.

The question is does he get paid by Holosun or C&H.

You can get a brand new SRO for under $500 at EuroOptic.

The new Holosuns are just starting to become available. I may try one, but I will probably get at least one more SRO in the meantime.

I’m not a huge fan of C&H so that’s out. If I really want to try that optic the same factory in China makes them for several other brands.
    The 507 comp is nice (had 9 pass throught my hands but give me a 509t or eps carry anyday)

My astigmatism makes the rings kinda run into each other

I didn't get the impression he's throwing any of his SRO's away. He showed guns with them still attached. For him, the 507Comp is just as good, so why pay the premium. I think he's being his typical trolly self.

Not because of him, but I'm making the same decision.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Well, my SRO died in the middle of a stage during a club IDPA match last weekend.
    The dot “blossomed” after a shot, and then was gone when transitioning to the next target.
    No amount of button-pushing or a battery change will make it come back.
    This unit has about 3,200 rounds on it on my LTT Elite B92.

Guess I’ll need to learn the Trijicon warranty claim process now. And likely go a month or so without a dot on my gun.
    I have to admit- I like shooting the dot (especially with aging eyes that won’t let me see a sharp front sight), but there’s definitely an increase in fragility involved in this “improved” technology.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Well, my SRO died in the middle of a stage during a club IDPA match last weekend.
    The dot “blossomed” after a shot, and then was gone when transitioning to the next target.

Guess I’ll need to learn the Trijicon warranty claim process now. And likely go a month or so without a dot on my gun.
    I have to admit- I like shooting the dot (especially with aging eyes that won’t let me see a sharp front sight), but there’s definitely an increase in fragility involved in this “improved” technology.
    Unfortunately, that's a common theme I see with pistol electronics at events. Whether I'm shooting SRO, RMR or EPS that day, I keep a back-up pistol or slide with zeroed dot in the range bag. The days of replacing a recoil spring or extractor to get the pistol back up and running have turned into dots going down and a call to the warranty department.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

What ever Trijicon’s faults, their warranty / customer service is great.

I’m pushing 10k rounds on the SRO on my main training / competition gun so far so good.

Have you had the optic or mount come loose on your LTT Beretta?

I ask because most optics failures I’ve seen have related to mounting. Even slight loosening seems to beat the crap out of the optic under recoil.

I love me some SRO but there is no free lunch. If you want or need an optic you can drive nails with there are more durable optics out there.

Site Supporter
    What ever Trijicon’s faults, their warranty / customer service is great.

I’m pushing 10k rounds on the SRO on my main training / competition gun so far so good.

Have you had the optic or mount come loose on your LTT Beretta?

I ask because most optics failures I’ve seen have related to mounting. Even slight loosening seems to beat the crap out of the optic under recoil.

I love me some SRO but there is no free lunch. If you want or need an optic you can drive nails with there are more durable optics out there.
    At just over 1,000 rds, the RDO baseplate (installed, torqued, and witness-marked by LTT) worked loose. I replaced the screws, re-torqued and reinstalled last September.
    When I went to remove the SRO from the plate after it failed, I noticed that the screws from the sight to the baseplate had moved slightly, as indicated by their witness marks. That had to have happened in the last 60 rounds or so, as they were lined up when I cleaned the gun before the match where it failed. It wasn’t “loose” yet by any stretch, but I was surprised.
    I’ll be contacting Trijicon yet today, so as to get the warranty ball rolling.

My sense is that most people that love the display on the SRO are comparing it to an RMR.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List