Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon SRO--Anyone else had problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    I wouldn’t hesitate.
    The thing that kills it for me is the low sun angle false dot.

Even experienced shooters have been fooled by it under stress and shot multiple times at a target missing before realizing it.

It’s a fatal flaw for carry IMO.

@GJM
    @Clusterfrack

I would rather have an unequivocal dot / reticle and a smaller window for carry.

JCN, you just pushed me to another rmr. Thank you!

My carry gun has an rmr but my gamer gun has an SRO. if my rmr died today, I’d likely replace it with an SRO based on my experience. The low sun angle hasn’t been an issue for me. Maybe luck, or that I shoot only shoot local matches and it hasn’t been exposed.

My SRO also lives with a TFT on it full time for the past year. YMMV and such

There were a number of talented shooters in my squad this past weekend shooting SRO optics. Each day, we had an adverse low sun angle on the first stage in the morning. Everyone was aware of the issue. Some taped over the front of their SRO or occluded it with a cover, others went without. One guy without a cover, had four mikes due to the false angle. For this reason, I won't use an SRO on an EDC pistol. I much prefer the 407CO to the RMR. I was just hiking with a low sun angle in the desert, and even though the 407CO has splatter, the donut is easily identifiable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

An Acro is my other choice and what I’d love to try but it’s expensive, seems huge and a discussion for a different thread.

The 509t is super tempting as is something like GJM just said but (also for another thread) can’t get myself to do Holosun.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    An Acro is my other choice and what I’d love to try but it’s expensive, seems huge and a discussion for a different thread.

The 509t is super tempting as is something like GJM just said but (also for another thread) can’t get myself to do Holosun.
    Holosun has innovated more in the last few years than all the rest of the manufacturers combined.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Holosun has innovated more in the last few years than all the rest of the manufacturers combined.
    They have it’s true.

I just responded to your PM, and I hope you don't mind if I past my response here:

My question is why? Here are my +/- for the SRO:
    (+)
    Large window
    Extremely durable in terms of rounds fired
    Good battery life

(-)
    Crappy glass compared with even much cheaper optics
    Double dot issue when sun hits emitter
    A bit on the large size for CCW
    Sits higher than some other optics, requiring taller BUIS
    Open emitter can be easily defeated by rain or filled with snow, making aiming difficult or impossible.

The only reason I strongly prefer the SRO to other equally durable optics (509t2, Acro) for competition is the large window that gives me a slight edge in speed. I would say it adds up to 5% to my performance at a match, and that's significant at the level I'm competing against.

If the reason for a larger window is "to not lose my dot", that's a problem that IMO needs to be addressed with serious training and practice --not a SRO.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I'm not sure I'd be carrying a RDS if not for Holosun. I'm totally sold on closed emitters, and the 509t2 is a truly excellent design.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Gotta go ACRO...

They have it’s true.
    @newyork - I get the expense, I really do, as I have a T&E sample at work, but purchased personally-expensive!
    But I see it as a case of "buy once, cry once".

We have a couple of instructors who run an SRO-love that window. But most gravitate toward the ACRO with one fellow who loves the green 509. I've shot that in low sun and it does well.

If you held me to one, it'd be ACRO P-2 with a Tango Down front lens protector;that's what I bought!

My 2 cents...

User Tag List