Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade in 642-2s $239.99 at Kings

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    LOL! I just hope this one shoots to POA. That used to be a given. I'm curious to see whether it's regulated for 158s or lighter-weight bullets. I've got >2k 158-grain RNLs loaded to 840 fps from my 4" M10-8, it'd be nice to be able to use them for practice...if they're not too feisty for that 642.
    I don’t enjoy a lot of loads that heavy in one session from my 642, but it shoots them well and to POA. From a model 10 or 13 or 15 or 19, that should be a very nice load, though. From an N frame, they’d be a hoot.

Site Supporter
    <thread drift>
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I don’t enjoy a lot of loads that heavy in one session from my 642, but it shoots them well and to POA. From a model 10 or 13 or 15 or 19, that should be a very nice load, though. From an N frame, they’d be a hoot.
    That's my IDPA SSR load from when you had to make a 125 PF, and they're close to my K frame carry load (R-P 158-grain LSWCHP). Shooting them in my 681 is almost cheating, even more so than in my 27 or 28.
    </thread drift>

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've seen new no-lock 442s available for ~$270 shipped after rebate in recent memory. At least you'd have the option of sending it back to S&W to let their warranty technicians screw it up for you if something was wrong with it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Okay, so I got mine today. I took it to the range and went through (from memory):

- 70 rounds of a handload with Zero 148-grain DEWC over 2.8 grains of Bullseye
    - a 50-round box of R-P 130-grain FMJ
    - 15 rounds of R-P 158-grain +P LSWC-HP
    - 15 rounds of a handload with 158-grain Berry RN over 5 grains of Unique

The end result looked like this:
    Name:  IMG_0258.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  78.0 KB

The gun's decently accurate. Here's the result of five rounds slow fire at five yards with my WC handload (yeah, I pulled one):
    Name:  IMG_0257.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  24.2 KB

I had to hold low in the 10-ring to get it to hit the X with the WC load. It was pretty close to POA with the R-P 130-grain load, so that's the bullet weight I'll get for defensive ammo. The +P stuff wasn't that bad to shoot, just wouldn't want to stick with it for a full range session.

Condition of the gun was pretty close to the one shown in the ad, actually somewhat better. I don't think it was shot (or cleaned) much during its tenure with that department. It's tight - with the trigger held back, there's zero back-and-forth cylinder movement.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with the transaction.
    Mine should be here today, I think.

Hopefully my results are similar.

User Tag List