Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: ShivWorks ECQC, Leesburg, FL October 11-13

AAR: ShivWorks ECQC, Leesburg, FL October 11-13

Stupendous
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 10-13-2019 at 10:28 PM.

I believe you.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Gol dang it- Craig had to have a class in my home area a month after I left!

So dang jealous right now!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Coming to Denver area anytime soon?

This is a bucket list item for me, but don’t want to be a whole lot older when I do it...

There isn't much to say about ECQC that hasn't already been said.

If you don't know or have questions, look at @GuanoLoco's AAR for an excellent discussion.

In no specific order, here are some of my insights:

• Basic BJJ can decided a fight, even against uneven parties. You are never too old to start. It isn't necessary to train to be an ADCC superstar, but, some vocabulary here helps immensely. Thank you to @Paul Sharp and SBG Illinois for hosting the IL ShivWorks Group and getting me start in BJJ
    • Cardiovascular fitness is the unsexy, unsung foundation that can really be a huge advantage. And, not only an advantage in ECQC, but in extending your life and staving off heart disease. I still credit Larry Linderman from Point Driven Training on saving my life: His template on Long Slow Distance cardiovascular training is gospel that more people need to preach and follow...
    • I love USPSA, shooting, guns, but so much of what folks feel is important in self-defense becomes almost totally unimportant. If you have $100 to spend on training, spend that on BJJ and cardio once you've bought a pistol you can live with.
    • The ability to engage in conversation, genuinely, without pretext or agenda, will help basic communication skills (which of course feeds into verbal agility). Especially in a time where everyone seems to hate everyone else, it might be nice just to really connect with people. This is the basis of community.

Dude thank you SO MUCH for spending a weekend with me! The face to face was long overdue and it was a pleasure to watch you work and problem solve. Cocktails for sure for Round 2!!

Hopefully, Craig's schedule and mine will coincide.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Dude thank you SO MUCH for spending a weekend with me! The face to face was long overdue and it was a pleasure to watch you work and problem solve. Cocktails for sure for Round 2!!

Back when I took a couple ECQCs it was "press play on a pre-set tape." How does this point now relate to being targeted for a street encounter and/or the seemingly increasing number of emotionally/mentally "not right" people?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    • The ability to engage in conversation, genuinely, without pretext or agenda, will help basic communication skills (which of course feeds into verbal agility). Especially in a time where everyone seems to hate everyone else, it might be nice just to really connect with people. This is the basis of community.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Back when I took a couple ECQCs it was "press play on a pre-set tape." How does this point now relate to being targeted for a street encounter and/or the seemingly increasing number of emotionally/mentally "not right" people?
    I think Craig has espoused the goal as "...give every student the empty-hand skills of an MMA fighter, the firearm skills of a USPSA grand master, and the verbal agility of a stand-up comic."

What I'm saying rules out using a good "tape loop"... rather, after you see a couple of engagements that get "stuck", it might be a clue that practicing listening/talking might be a good thing. If you can talk to the waitress/barista/etc and hold a conversation, aka "Sport MUC", then you might develop the verbal agility to handle MUC in general...

User Tag List