Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LPVO reticles / Kahles 16i vs. PA ACSS

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    There is pros and cons to all these LPVO's, the Kahles is one of the best 1-6 SFP LPVO's out there overall while the Nightforce's are great FFP 1-8's. I'd be happy to go over everything if you have time to give us a call at 916-670-1103
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

@TAZ mentioned that the glass wasn't so great on his PA scope. Not to derail the thread too much, but does anybody have experience with the higher end Primary Arms scopes? How is the optical quality on those? I have a hard time sourcing this stuff over here in Europe, so looking through one for comparison is not an option. I was specifically looking at the PLx8 1-8 with the ACSS Raptor reticle.

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    @TAZ mentioned that the glass wasn't so great on his PA scope. Not to derail the thread too much, but does anybody have experience with the higher end Primary Arms scopes? How is the optical quality on those? I have a hard time sourcing this stuff over here in Europe, so looking through one for comparison is not an option. I was specifically looking at the PLx8 1-8 with the ACSS Raptor reticle.
    IT's going to be the same glass as the Trijicon 1-8 essentially. Closest optic that you can directly compare it to, and they're all made with Japanese glass except some of the gold series which is made in the Philippines.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    I have not been impressed with Trijicon's 1-8's overall... I dislike the reticle, it's not daytime bright and the glass is just ok. I'll take a Vortex Razor Gen II over it all day long.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Trying to range with a reticle is overrated in my experience. My recommendation is a compact laser rangefinder for an exact measurement. The further out you go, the more critical the measurement becomes and the harder it will be to range with a reticle.

I have the older Primary Arms 4-14X with the ACSS reticle and really like it, mounted on a Remington 700 PS in 308. The glass is not that great but I can see hits on steel out to 550 yards and that's good enough for my needs. I don't use it for measuring distance but the BDC portion is good enough to get you close and the wind dots work well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    I have not been impressed with Trijicon's 1-8's overall... I dislike the reticle, it's not daytime bright and the glass is just ok. I'll take a Vortex Razor Gen II over it all day long.
    I like the Trijicon 1-8 over the Razor for a multitude of reasons. I think the glass is on par or better than the Razor also. I've been able to run the Razor, Trij and ATACR back to back to back at the range. The Trij is a lot better than people give it credit, the reticles being subjective of course. A lot of guys tend to use LPVO's as magnified red dots anyway, those are the dudes who don't like anything but a P4Xi, or a Razor or something similar. People who use the reticles for ranging or the like don't mind busier reticles. I've found as with 9 hole reviews that the Trij is a fast target acquisition and good at transitioning targets with good reference points. Additionally it has survived life on a SCAR 17. Which is nothing to sneeze at.

It is something that is 100% subjective and some guys really love SFP. You like what you like, but the Trijicon is a tested and worthy optic. Not the trailer trash it gets treated as. I can also get one in a Geissele super precision for the price of admission for the Vortex. I also won't have to do math to get hits at different powers. IT weighs the same, the dials turn without issues, and I have found it bright enough to use at noon in coastal Florida when the sun is brutal. I also don't feel the need to use the illumination like I do with the vortex razor because it's a dot. I feel like the razor which is a good and proven optic, comes baked in with psychological crutches supported by red dot shooters.
    Last edited by navyman8903; 10-18-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Trying to range with a reticle is overrated in my experience. My recommendation is a compact laser rangefinder for an exact measurement. The further out you go, the more critical the measurement becomes and the harder it will be to range with a reticle.

I have the older Primary Arms 4-14X with the ACSS reticle and really like it, mounted on a Remington 700 PS in 308. The glass is not that great but I can see hits on steel out to 550 yards and that's good enough for my needs. I don't use it for measuring distance but the BDC portion is good enough to get you close and the wind dots work well.
    Yup. Laser it and dial it. Very few scopes will legit take and HOLD input. Nightforce, SWFAs HD series believe it or not, are two I'll vouch for on a consistent basis.

User Tag List