Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPVO reticles / Kahles 16i vs. PA ACSS

LPVO reticles / Kahles 16i vs. PA ACSS

Hi!
    Time to update some glass. Lots of in-the-know-guys seem to recommend the Kahles 16i. Looked trough it, amazing glass quality, great eye relief.

However, compared to the Primary Arms Raptor reticle, I find the Kahles lacking in terms of easy ranging ability. I really like the SI1 for pure
    speed, but it would be awesome to be able to estimate distances with it ala the ACSS reticle.

So, do you rather compromise on glass quality for a superior reticle?

Maybe I'm just stupid, but has anyone figured the Kahles reticle out? Thanks!

Name:  TA31-R-ACSS_RETICLE-RANGING_zpsyg5qjoug-1024x652.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  Kahles_Absehen_SI1.jpg
Views: 2943
Size:  22.5 KB

Found only the primitive way to range via reticle vs torso/body size at 6x
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by overton; 10-13-2019 at 11:17 PM.

I have the Kahles K16i with the SM1 reticle, which I think is superior to the SI1. As you say, very fast up close. The scale is in mils. Kahles now produces the K16i with the 3GR reticle, which I like even better. You can't beat the glass in these and they are solidly built and durable.

My 3-gun rifle:

Name:  IMG_3009.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  40.3 KB

The SM1; these drops require a 150 yard zero:

Name:  K16i-1-6-SM1-Reticle-Ballistics.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  27.8 KB

The mil based reticle above from the Khales would work well for ranging and hold offs. I have an ACSS and like the reticle, but the glass is ho-hum to say the least. If I had the budget for better glass I would have jumped on it. You can learn to range with almost anything if you put the time in. You can’t learn to see stuff...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I have the Kahles K16i with the SM1 reticle, which I think is superior to the SI1. As you say, very fast up close. The scale is in mils. Kahles now produces the K16i with the 3GR reticle, which I like even better.
    Steve,

Does the Kahles have a locking eyepiece? If not have you found it to be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Steve,

Does the Kahles have a locking eyepiece? If not have you found it to be a problem?
    No and no.

I'm just not a kahles fan. Nightforce ATACR-1-8X24-F1 or NX8, depending on your goals, gets my vote. Durability trumps all, and the nx8 has form factor to boot. I've not found the glass or eyebox to be a limiting factor.

Thanks for your input, you all. Is the durability of the Kahles lacking?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    From SteveB's post above: "You can't beat the glass in these and they are solidly built and durable."

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    No it's not. And it has the best field of view of any low-power variable optic on the market. If you were looking for a high-end optic then your choices basically come down to the k16i or the nx8. The Kahles has awesome glass and a wide field of view, the nx8 is very well built and has higher magnification but with a much tighter eye box.

Basically look at it this way. If most of the time the scope is going to be used on one power as a red dot replacement with the capability to magnify go with the Kahles. If most of it's life is going to be spent on high-power magnification for long range shooting with ability to drop to 1x for close in work then go with the nx8.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

User Tag List